Author Topic: Chassis fitting Questions  (Read 1706 times)

Offline 1Bad67

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Woodburn
  • Your Vehicle: GTO
Chassis fitting Questions
« on: November 10, 2023, 08:58:52 AM »
After 40 years of dreaming, and over 10 years of collecting parts, I am ready to start welding.
I want something that looks mid 60's, but also something I can fit in. I am basing the chassis on Ricemans drawing of a Woody Gilmore chassis. With a bit of influence from Pete Ogdens work on Condor's roll cage.
My problem is that my son and I will be sharing driving duties, and we are both big Vikings. (6'2" to 6'3", and 280 to 300 lbs).
I bought the Shoulder hoop from Neil & Parks because I like the full round shape. But putting it around my shoulders is a tight fit in a tee shirt. I probably should buy the correct fire suit now, but I can see buying it, then not getting the car finished until the suit is out of date.

My first question is, is there a good way to estimate the bulk of a /20 suit? A sweatshirt? a ski jacket?

Second, I have read thru the SFI 2.6a Specs, and it looks like it would be legal to split the shoulder hoop in the back, and widen it a couple inches. Does anyone see anything wrong with doing that?

Eric

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Chassis fitting Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 05:12:15 PM »
If you can split the top bar and it is legal, put a sleeve inside the split and rosette weld it in place before final welding.