Drag Racing Discussions > Front Engine Dragsters

Cage/Helmet Clearance

<< < (2/4) > >>

janjon:
Should harness stretch on impact be a consideration?

wideopen231:
As tight as we have belts that should be nothing. Now if you wear them loose tighten them .

fuel749:

--- Quote from: lake_harley on September 15, 2022, 07:17:08 PM ---Started constructing and planning the roll cage for my FED. Driver was here today and we mocked it up with him in the car, helmet on, with 2" of clearance over the top of his helmet. To that we added the thickness of SFI padding to be installed. Called S&W race cars where I bought my chassis plans and talked to a tech. He said there's no actual minimum but to have enough clearance for some head movement, and not so tight to hamper doing a quick get-out in an emergency. So, am I on the right track with 2" between the helmet and the roll bar padding? It seemed to me that too much clearance would be as bad as not enough.

I'll appreciate thoughts.

Lynn

--- End quote ---

There is an actual minimum listed in the SFI spec.  Either 2 or 3 inches I can't remember and it doesn't really seem to be enforced

JEFF/21C:
Always make sure your belts are tight, I've seen people hurt when they flipped and belts were not tight enough.you should set-up your cockpit with all your safety equipment on, street clothes are not the same!

Supercat:
If you are planning to do a seat pour(foam) take that in as part of your measurements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version