Drag Racing Discussions > Front Engine Dragsters

Cage/Helmet Clearance

(1/4) > >>

lake_harley:
Started constructing and planning the roll cage for my FED. Driver was here today and we mocked it up with him in the car, helmet on, with 2" of clearance over the top of his helmet. To that we added the thickness of SFI padding to be installed. Called S&W race cars where I bought my chassis plans and talked to a tech. He said there's no actual minimum but to have enough clearance for some head movement, and not so tight to hamper doing a quick get-out in an emergency. So, am I on the right track with 2" between the helmet and the roll bar padding? It seemed to me that too much clearance would be as bad as not enough.

I'll appreciate thoughts.

Lynn

tcoupekyle:
I don’t know but…. I have about 1inch between my helmet and pads in mine and it seems to be fine

tcoupekyle:
It looks like more in these pics but my helmet will touch the padding pretty easily if I move around.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/k7mFA2SeYw8PLmsD6

lake_harley:
Thanks for the replies. Based your examples of closer fitting cages, I might "tighten up" my cage a bit. Your examples verify what the tech at S&W had to say.

I can't stand the looks of a big tall, gangly-looking cage, but certainly didn't want to compromise safety by thinking too much about only looks. My driver is a tick over 6' but I'm only about 5'9". In talking it turns out both of us wear 34" inseam pants so his extra 3" of height is mostly in his torso which made sense considering the headroom I had sitting in the car. When I sat in the car with the rear cage tube mocked up I had a GOB of headroom and would have looked like a gnome sitting in it.

Thanks gents. Now I have some info the move on in an informed way.

Lynn

wideopen231:
You want to fit comfortably,but not loose. When checking it is best to have full suit on.It make huge difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version