Author Topic: King pin / spindle bushings  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
King pin / spindle bushings
« on: July 16, 2022, 09:59:40 AM »
Hiya

I need to get the king pin bushings replaced on our drop tube axle. I've taken the worst one apart, the kingpin was held in with a grub screw & it all came out easy. The kingpin mics at 0.75" & does not appear to be worn. The bushings are 0.75” inside diam & 0.75” length with an extra 1/16” flange on the bottom one to take the vertical load. The bottom one is shaped like a hollow top hat, fitted upside down. The top bushing is a simple cylinder.

Can anyone tell me where I can get replacement bushings from or what car these may have been off originally?

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: King pin / spindle bushings
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 04:29:32 PM »
Anglia type spindles?  There's been a few manufacturers through the years and sometimes you can tell the manufacturer by the king pin boss and I know I've seen them with flanged bushings.  Being from outside the US you might see if you could find a machine shop to come up with something for you.

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
Re: King pin / spindle bushings
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 03:28:19 AM »
Yes, the spindles have Anglia sized wheel bearings, but the kingpin is smaller diameter than the few bushings I've seen advertised.

I've heard people talking about the standard being 11/16". I may need to talk to my local machinist.