Author Topic: Chevy ground zero  (Read 3712 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Chevy ground zero
« on: June 05, 2022, 09:02:16 AM »
Hey All.
Some of us have avoided Chevs all our lives so need a bit of schoolin'. If a fella decided to go with a GM small block just for fun starting with no parts, knowledge of the brand and limited funds, what would he build a traditional SBC or an iron block LS engine. We would be talking about stock block and crank, maybe rods? A hydraulic roller, single 4 barrel intake with Rons injection on methanol, a magneto or maybe a basic HEI.  Which engine is going to give me the best bang for my retired wallet and why. How would they compair cost wise. I'm thinking the LS platform as it comes would have narrow rings, be setup from the factory for a roller, probably have reasonable roller rockers? and can use or comes equipped with behive springs. Which engine and why.
Cheers

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Chevy ground zero
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »
While I love old school SBC's. It is hard to beat LS bang for the buck. Easy to build decent power, good reliability and easy to find parts tuning.info

Now as for old school deal. A 350 or 383 would give good bang for buck and easies thing in world to find parts for. Shopping around for 350 block and buiying a 383 rotating assembly would give you a strong base. Then comes the money part. Roller cam and valvetrain and a good set of heads.You are in the 3k ball park. Induction wise I would have no choice but injection.If you choose to degrade carf and run carbs then its pretty open. Simple wise a good open plenum like Victor Jr. and an 85o carb. Thro on some hearers and you are ready to rock..
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 02:32:41 PM »
I forgot to mention and it's only relevant in the cost column,  that I'm in Australia so with the currency exchange rate as it is $1,000 USD is nearly $1400 Oz dollars!

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
iF it's bang for the buck go LS I've run mostly small block chevy  never tried and LS What trans?

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 05:23:25 PM »
Bang for the buck LS.
I have avoided the sbc until last year and I regret it for the
Money I've spent, could've built a BBC or a hemi for that matter.

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 03:01:35 AM »
Maybe I should ask some specific questions on the LS.
1. Is the oiling system okay to 6500 or 7,000 or do the galleries need loving to help bearing life? Hi
2. Are the factory rods up to the task or is there something like Scat a better option.
3. Are factory pistons full floaters or press fit?
4. What's that great cog on the crank.
5. Is the timing cover flat so I can modify it to stick a Mag straight out the front driven by the cam.
6. Most common heads are "cathedral" ports. Is using them an option for 5 -600 hp?
7. Are all LS engines roller cam and roller lifters?
8. Do aftermarket BeeHive springs work in the factory retainers.
Maybe more questions as we go.
Cheers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 05:43:50 AM by retroboy »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2022, 11:27:21 AM »
Looks like an LS would blow the whole "nostalgia" look

350 plain and simple--use cheapo 11;1  pistons regular rings, cheapo 7 qt rear sump pan regular old oil pump No tricks--NO way hyd in a race engine--go used solid roller, used lifters just check the axles, used springs, used titanium retainers, sweet valve job on whatever heads you score in decent shape  It will run on alky with whatever induction you get and be a fine weekend engine  Turn it 6500 change gears rinse repeat until you retire
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 05:59:00 PM »
 I have started where Dave suggest. I have never ended there. That for a little more thing.  Like for little more I can get bigger pistons with higher compression. For little more I can get better heads/for little more I can have bigger induction. Now with all of those I need alittle more cam,better springs,b etter rockers. Before long I went from grpound zero to heading for the moon.LOL

If you can do it and control yourself more power to you.Man has to know his limit and spending money has no lim it with me if its for more power.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 08:57:23 PM »
We all think when we start a project that we will make due with what we have or can source cheaply but like what was stated we have to up grade and have a good reason like I have a set of pistons but they are too heavy and that would be hard on the rods didn't matter that the were in a motor the set a NHRA class record so I bought super light weight pistons and lighter rods as the old ones had too many runs
any reason to justify what i was doing same thing for the heads the only things I didn't change was the block and the camshaft we all want better(faster)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 12:09:03 PM »
Don't know where the notion of cheap came from. Don't confuse budget with cheap.
I've been through decades of Fords - Winsdor, Cleveland, 400 and 429's, most recent years with Chrysler LA but I've just got an itch to scratch that is Chev. I'm 64 and semi retired so maybe I've got too much time on my hands? Here's my little Chrysler.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 02:50:55 PM by retroboy »

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 03:08:16 PM »
I've had Fords, Chryslers now just an itch to scratch says try a Chev - I like the idea of the LS more than the old 1955 SBC.
I'm semi retired at 64. Maybe I've got too much time on my hands. Here's my little injected Chrysler before the car had paint

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 04:27:30 AM »
Here's my current little injected Chrysler (before paint).

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
Prime example of no control. I am building a 327 I have had sitting around for 25 years. Started out for nothing extra old school engine. So far new rod bolts,.060 over kb pistons(free had to), rods polished and balanced(nothing but time), crankshaft polished throws and all edges smoothed.Then new solid lifter cam and a set of AFR 195 heads.That last one really blew the spend almost nothing budget and no where near finished.LOL  Only thing worst is I have no idea what I am going to do with it when done.Either a super light high power street buggy or a Trike with maybe more power than should have.

I applaud those who can actually stick to a original plan.

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 07:51:08 AM »
Can you tell us what you decided?

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2022, 05:33:42 AM »
For some technical reason I haven't been able to reply. Here's my little Chrysler