Technical > Matt Shaff's Engine Shop

Chevy ground zero

<< < (2/3) > >>

retroboy:
Maybe I should ask some specific questions on the LS.
1. Is the oiling system okay to 6500 or 7,000 or do the galleries need loving to help bearing life? Hi
2. Are the factory rods up to the task or is there something like Scat a better option.
3. Are factory pistons full floaters or press fit?
4. What's that great cog on the crank.
5. Is the timing cover flat so I can modify it to stick a Mag straight out the front driven by the cam.
6. Most common heads are "cathedral" ports. Is using them an option for 5 -600 hp?
7. Are all LS engines roller cam and roller lifters?
8. Do aftermarket BeeHive springs work in the factory retainers.
Maybe more questions as we go.
Cheers

dusterdave173:
Looks like an LS would blow the whole "nostalgia" look

350 plain and simple--use cheapo 11;1  pistons regular rings, cheapo 7 qt rear sump pan regular old oil pump No tricks--NO way hyd in a race engine--go used solid roller, used lifters just check the axles, used springs, used titanium retainers, sweet valve job on whatever heads you score in decent shape  It will run on alky with whatever induction you get and be a fine weekend engine  Turn it 6500 change gears rinse repeat until you retire

wideopen231:
 I have started where Dave suggest. I have never ended there. That for a little more thing.  Like for little more I can get bigger pistons with higher compression. For little more I can get better heads/for little more I can have bigger induction. Now with all of those I need alittle more cam,better springs,b etter rockers. Before long I went from grpound zero to heading for the moon.LOL

If you can do it and control yourself more power to you.Man has to know his limit and spending money has no lim it with me if its for more power.

JEFF/21C:
We all think when we start a project that we will make due with what we have or can source cheaply but like what was stated we have to up grade and have a good reason like I have a set of pistons but they are too heavy and that would be hard on the rods didn't matter that the were in a motor the set a NHRA class record so I bought super light weight pistons and lighter rods as the old ones had too many runs
any reason to justify what i was doing same thing for the heads the only things I didn't change was the block and the camshaft we all want better(faster)

retroboy:
Don't know where the notion of cheap came from. Don't confuse budget with cheap.
I've been through decades of Fords - Winsdor, Cleveland, 400 and 429's, most recent years with Chrysler LA but I've just got an itch to scratch that is Chev. I'm 64 and semi retired so maybe I've got too much time on my hands? Here's my little Chrysler.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version