Technical > Matt Shaff's Engine Shop

Chevy ground zero

(1/3) > >>

retroboy:
Hey All.
Some of us have avoided Chevs all our lives so need a bit of schoolin'. If a fella decided to go with a GM small block just for fun starting with no parts, knowledge of the brand and limited funds, what would he build a traditional SBC or an iron block LS engine. We would be talking about stock block and crank, maybe rods? A hydraulic roller, single 4 barrel intake with Rons injection on methanol, a magneto or maybe a basic HEI.  Which engine is going to give me the best bang for my retired wallet and why. How would they compair cost wise. I'm thinking the LS platform as it comes would have narrow rings, be setup from the factory for a roller, probably have reasonable roller rockers? and can use or comes equipped with behive springs. Which engine and why.
Cheers

wideopen231:
While I love old school SBC's. It is hard to beat LS bang for the buck. Easy to build decent power, good reliability and easy to find parts tuning.info

Now as for old school deal. A 350 or 383 would give good bang for buck and easies thing in world to find parts for. Shopping around for 350 block and buiying a 383 rotating assembly would give you a strong base. Then comes the money part. Roller cam and valvetrain and a good set of heads.You are in the 3k ball park. Induction wise I would have no choice but injection.If you choose to degrade carf and run carbs then its pretty open. Simple wise a good open plenum like Victor Jr. and an 85o carb. Thro on some hearers and you are ready to rock..

retroboy:
I forgot to mention and it's only relevant in the cost column,  that I'm in Australia so with the currency exchange rate as it is $1,000 USD is nearly $1400 Oz dollars!

JEFF/21C:
iF it's bang for the buck go LS I've run mostly small block chevy  never tried and LS What trans?

tcoupekyle:
Bang for the buck LS.
I have avoided the sbc until last year and I regret it for the
Money I've spent, could've built a BBC or a hemi for that matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version