Author Topic: Stroud Parachute  (Read 1945 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Stroud Parachute
« on: May 06, 2022, 07:19:48 PM »
I picked up a Stroud single chute at a swap meet, but after laundering it and sending to Stroud for evaluation I was told it's too big and for a much heavier car than the FED I'm building. Per Stroud it is a 430 32 chute. Here's the sizing chart from Stroud's website:  https://stroudsafety.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/SizingChart-Chute-2013.pdf

It's currently set up to be a "launched" chute (pilot and deployment bag are attached to one another) rather than using a spring loaded pilot chute for deployment. Also, there is currently no chute pack (black "cube"). The chute itself is in good condition per Stroud, and is still at their facility waiting for my instruction on what to do with it.

I was told it could be converted to a spring pilot chute with new deployment bag and bridle, and a new chute pack for $210.00 plus the return shipping. For comparison, a new Stroud 430 32 Chute is $465 so the final cost would be about 1/2 of new if the chute were retro-fitted to be deployed by a new pilot chute. I'm flexible on how to sell it so please give me a call if you're interested and we can talk over options available (modified/updated or sold as-is). I have a couple photos of the chute but because of the size of the file I'd have to send them via e-mail. Contact info is below.

Thanks

Lynn Winter
winter62@att.net
(573) 788-2574 Home/Shop
(573) 286-3335 Cell
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:55:38 AM by lake_harley »

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
Re: Stroud Parachute
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 12:32:17 PM »
After a few days of consideration I called Stroud and asked them to just return the chute to me as-is. It is in good condition and is intended to be used with a spring or air launch system. It can be converted to a pilot chute deployment but I didn't want to put any more $$ into the chute since it's too big for my FED. I would take $75 for the chute. A chute pack will be needed to complete the chute to be used as-is with a launch system, or it could be converted to a pilot chute. Either way, it would be a big saving compared to buying a new chute.

Contact info is all in my original post so let me know if you have questions. Thanks

Lynn

Offline xlr8

• View Profile
    • JEFF CHANDLER MATCO TOOLS
  • Your Best Time: 7.99 1/4 mile 166 mph
  • Your Engine: Pontiac Alcohol 428
  • Your Track: BARONA
  • Your Vehicle: 190" FED
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 11:53:58 AM »
if you will be going over 180 mph, you need the chute you have if I understand their chart. right?
Jeff Chandler - Matco Tools
619-991-7845
xlr8jsc@cox.net

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 03:27:40 PM »
I will be putting a chute on the car for the extra measure of safety, although it (hopefully) will never really be needed on the 1/8th Mi. I'll be running. The track has 1300' shut down area. My speed? Oh, it will be W-A-Y under 180! I was thinking a chute is required over 125 in the 1/8th, but I'll still be under that.

Lynn