Drag Racing Discussions > Front Engine Dragsters

5.7 Hemi???

(1/2) > >>

Calkins:
Has anyone tried running a 3rd Gen hemi in an ALT, FC, or FED yet?

wideopen231:
Mt opinion after going thru one 3 times in 270,000 miles. The oiling system need attention big time. Cranks are not very durable,broke one.The once use and trash bolts crap sucks, but that is with all modern engines. I know the car that  Leah Pruett drives has had about qas many engines as her fuel car.

I thought about doing this because for what they are stock they run pretty good. I decided against it because of lack of parts I feel I would need to make it dependable inrace trim. Good luck if you go this route.

Calkins:
My car was built for a 392 and has only had a 392 in it, I'll be it in blown nitro form.  The Gen 3 Hemi shares the same bellhousing pattern, saving me from purchasing and milling out another motor plate.  While searching for 392 parts to turn my car into a Jr. Fueler, expense and lack of quality 1950's blocks and heads had me taking another look at the G3 Hemi.

The last car I drove was an altered 20 years ago.  I don't know the extent of my "sea legs & butterflies", so a 400hp 5.7 sounds like a better starting point than a full boogie 392.  With DSR selling 1150hp supercharged crate motors, I might just stick with this platform after I get used to the car.

wideopen231:
IMO you would be money ahead  with 392 with something milder than blower.Like Injection or god forbid a carb. I have never been one for the start mild and step up/Mainly because the steps rarely have anything to do with previous setup.  Plus if you go injection and get bored throwing some nitro in it for fun is relatively cheap, well as racing goes anyway.

wideopen231:
Why not go with the 392 hemi with injection and if you want milder just thrwo some gasket to it and drop compression back some or since you plan on blown anyway just start with compression you plan to run then. I would think a 10 to 12: combo wild little less cam would be plenty, mild,fun to drive and allow for more later w/o ton of cost. The money you were going to spend on gen 3 and then on real Hemi later, you will be saving money and that always helps with wife. Well not mine she knows that means I just buy more of something else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version