Author Topic: 5.7 Hemi???  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8th Mile - 5.77 @ 117
  • Your Track: Humboldt, IA - Humboldt County Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Canode 225" Ex-Nostalgia Top Fueler
  • General Location: Midwest
5.7 Hemi???
« on: May 06, 2022, 06:07:36 AM »
Has anyone tried running a 3rd Gen hemi in an ALT, FC, or FED yet?
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

UNDER CONSTRUCTION:  1997 Hal Canode 225" FED

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: 5.7 Hemi???
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 07:47:54 AM »
Mt opinion after going thru one 3 times in 270,000 miles. The oiling system need attention big time. Cranks are not very durable,broke one.The once use and trash bolts crap sucks, but that is with all modern engines. I know the car that  Leah Pruett drives has had about qas many engines as her fuel car.

I thought about doing this because for what they are stock they run pretty good. I decided against it because of lack of parts I feel I would need to make it dependable inrace trim. Good luck if you go this route.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 09:07:11 AM »
My car was built for a 392 and has only had a 392 in it, I'll be it in blown nitro form.  The Gen 3 Hemi shares the same bellhousing pattern, saving me from purchasing and milling out another motor plate.  While searching for 392 parts to turn my car into a Jr. Fueler, expense and lack of quality 1950's blocks and heads had me taking another look at the G3 Hemi.

The last car I drove was an altered 20 years ago.  I don't know the extent of my "sea legs & butterflies", so a 400hp 5.7 sounds like a better starting point than a full boogie 392.  With DSR selling 1150hp supercharged crate motors, I might just stick with this platform after I get used to the car.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 05:25:50 PM »
IMO you would be money ahead  with 392 with something milder than blower.Like Injection or god forbid a carb. I have never been one for the start mild and step up/Mainly because the steps rarely have anything to do with previous setup.  Plus if you go injection and get bored throwing some nitro in it for fun is relatively cheap, well as racing goes anyway.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 06:36:09 PM »
Why not go with the 392 hemi with injection and if you want milder just thrwo some gasket to it and drop compression back some or since you plan on blown anyway just start with compression you plan to run then. I would think a 10 to 12: combo wild little less cam would be plenty, mild,fun to drive and allow for more later w/o ton of cost. The money you were going to spend on gen 3 and then on real Hemi later, you will be saving money and that always helps with wife. Well not mine she knows that means I just buy more of something else.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 01:07:10 PM »
Have you shopped for and priced G1 Hemi parts lately?  I was offered a smokin' deal on a 392 block, and it was still double what I just paid for an entire 5.7 Hemi.

Have you looked at the weight of G1 parts compared to the G3?

As I noted earlier, DSR is selling 1150hp crate engines (My point being the power potential).  Factory Stock Showdown cars are pumping out a heck of a lot more than that.  Like 2000hp.

Dollar for dollar, the G1 Hemi will cost half again more or double what the G3 Hemi will cost, for the same power.  And it will still weigh a lot more.

If I was to run Nitro (I would love to!!!), it would not be with a converter tranny, it would be with a clutch.  I also probably would not use a 5.7 on Nitro.  With me starting over with driving, I'm not going to trust myself with a clutch right off the bat.  On top of that, Nitro and/or a clutch is not going to work in a car that I will have to run alone or with minimal help, or one that I plan to bracket race.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 06:09:18 PM »
My bad I took it from your OP that you were going to work up to nitro.  As for the 2000 hp not sure I buy that and especially with stock bottom end parts. Judging from weakness of the bottom end in my 7.7 Hemi truck. Maybe there is more to the story than the one it is telling me.

Have not bought 392 parts,but buy 426  Hemi after market parts all the time. A lot of them used and some new. Just paid 1500 bucks for rods.Cranks I have where 3k when new and that was 25 years ago. Yes I know the cost of those. I would still rather pay the cost for those parts than buy more of the slightly cheaper new stuff. JMO.  Good luck with project and enjoy,it is all about the fun.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 05:11:11 AM »
im not up to par on the modern stuff as far as cost like piecing one together vs buying a drop out, but a hellcat drop out would be neat, just did a quick browse on ebay and you can get a drop out for around 15k. with supercharger... id think with some tuning they could make a good bit more power reliably ?

i have a gen 1 392  and glad i have all the parts for it before covid hit.  im sure i have 25k+ into it  with all the goodies... aluminum rods, nitro pistons, aluminum rockers etc....  and thats still using iron block, heads, and a 65 yr old crank..... its for a cackle car though.

my FED i have on the back burner i have a 496 im putting into it,  put often look at ls stuff, then i get confused with all the interchange stuff so i just revert to old school

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 06:11:27 AM »
Greg Means runs an LS with the roots blower, fuel pump, front mount mag, etc. that was on his SBC.  I'm not sure how many passes he has on this new combo, but it sure does look bitchin', and I hate the LS.

The Gen III Hemi is basically a Mopar LS.  The aftermarket finally seems to be making progress on hot rod parts for them.  I just paid $600 for a '06 5.7 long block.  You're not going to have much luck finding just a 392 block for that.  More likely it will be twice that.  For just the block, from 1958.