Drag Racing Discussions > Front Engine Dragsters

Stroud Chute

(1/2) > >>

lake_harley:
I picked up a Stroud chute at a swap meet last week. The lines and chute are all in very good condition as far as I can determine just by my novice inspection, but I do have some confusion about it.

On Stroud's website there are several videos of chute packing and maintenance, but the chute I have seems different that what is shown in the videos and diagrams in that the deployment bag and pilot chute are attached as one unit by flat nylon straps rather than them being separate pieces with the deployment spring being between the pilot and the deployment bag. The chute didn't come with a chute pack or deployment spring. In the case of the deployment bag and pilot chute being one unit, would a  deployment spring be the first thing into the chute pack and it would eject the whole works out together, or how would that be set up?

I plan to call Stroud and perhaps send photos and likely ship the chute to them to inspect and complete it, but in the meantime could someone satisfy my curiosity about how my chute might all go together?

Thanks.

Lynn

Supercat:
Pilot chute and spring are generally first out so last in when packing.
I have only had Simpson and Deist chutes no Stoud so may be different?

msundstrom:
The chute is packed into the bag that has a strap running through it and is attached to the spring/pilot chute. Bag is placed into the chute bag and coil the strap on the bag and place the spring/ pilot chute on top of that and lace the 4 chute bag flaps shut. I have never had mine not deploy correctly.

wideopen231:
Almost sounds like a chute designed for a air plunger for deployment. Most have no spring. the solenoid throws the chute into the air and as bg separates it opens chute. I have a homemade version on my fed ,but can not say how it works YET,

lake_harley:
wideopen231....I was thinking the same thing, that it might have been set up for a air launcher, or wasn't there a spring launcher version that had the spring in a "can" built into the front of the chute pack? I don't know what the cost would be, but I'm going to talk with Stroud about buying a new deployment bag and spring loaded pilot chute with the bridle, and also a chute pack since I didn't get one with the chute. I'll see how the cost compares with a new, complete chute system. The chute I have was given to me at the swap meet after I bought a few other items from the kind seller.

I will put a chute on the car but with 1300' of shut down area on an 1/8 Mi. track I don't know if it will need to be used. I'm thinking (per online racing calculators) the trap speed will only be about 100MPH with my modest HP engine.

Lynn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version