Technical > Spud Miller's Cave

Going Price for SBC Fuel Injection System

(1/3) > >>

lake_harley:
I'm getting way ahead of my FED build but I'm curious what a reasonable price for a used, complete stack injection system might be for a SBC? I plan to run with a carb on gas, but at some point switching to alky and injection is appealing. I go to several swap meets a year (some quite large) and have seen FI systems for sale but never priced any of them. I think I'd be looking for a 2" or smaller system since the largest engine I'd ever expect to run is a 327 Chevy.

Just thinking at this point but I'd appreciate some input in case I'd come across something..

Lynn

dusterdave173:
You have to learn to recognize junk from a good set up--all Look like a FI system but about half are worn slam out junk that need everything--check shaft wear--if they are night nice and tight no slop then figure that you will continue to look at it--look at screw heads on blades--if they are bogered--tells you it has been apart and usually trouble and more $$--Nozzles? a good set is not cheap so if it has gas nozzles and you want to run alky well there goes $$$--The hoses? cracked? More $$--coolant fitting threads usually bogered up , welded closed. etc --if they are good or plugged nice that is a big plus--the pumps--are usually junk--you will need a o size Enderele --new they are crazy--rebuilt they are $$$--a pump that has fresh rebuild tag or check out tag is a BIG plus
port window size? If bigger than a Felpro `1205 gasket opening you have one that has been hogged out no good for your use probably--look for unported unaltered port windows
Mike at Alkydigger will sell you a set up ready to go--it does not look cheap but in the long run after you have experienced misery with your swap meet set up it will look like a sweet deal
The very old very small units are a trap--stay away usually--look for a 2 3/16ths ( IIRC) staggered stack unit --they will support any engine and look way cool--they can be found same price as the others usually --when you sell they are easier to dump--also you will encounter many very late model units that were from sprint car engines--they look modern and sort of kill the nostalgia vibe but...can be just right for a good running engine --many were sized for 300 CI type engines and alky    Study study study look look look--be patient and remember most are half there worn out Traps

dusterdave173:
Skip that carb and do it right! The smiles you will get are priceless--a carb? well... why do it at all

dusterdave173:
FED with injection and a Chute
Right up there with a Friday paycheck, cold beer, and sweet girlfriend

lake_harley:
dusterdave173....Those are all great suggestions and I appreciate it. I know swap meet parts can be a trap, the parts are being sold for a reason, so your suggestions will help me avoid making someone else's problem mine. I'll try to keep logic ahead of emotion if I see a set. ;) I'll do some looking online at complete packages and parts prices to help get an idea of how to know if an appealing price is just bait on a swap meet setup.

As far as the visual appeal of injectors over a carb, you've hit the nail on the head!

As far as injection being right up there with cool things including a sweet girlfriend, my wife of 36+ years takes a dim view of that. ;D

Thanks.

Lynn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version