Author Topic: FED Steering box  (Read 15908 times)

Offline BUICKWAGON

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile FED under construction
  • Your Track: Willowbank Brisbane Australia
  • Your Vehicle: FED under construction
FED Steering box
« on: April 15, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
hi, Looking for a steering box for a FED project   either SPE or similar or any ideas on a "budget" steering box ??
have been told before to use a purpose built dragster steering box because a normal passenger car box has too much travel.
your thoughts on this ??

Am based in Brisbane, Australia so information is a little harder to get down here.
thanking you in advance

cheers
Greg

Offline duntov

• View Profile
Re: FED Steering box
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »
From 1995 to 2008, I built three FED's, running from 9.86 to 8.71 in 1/4-mile.    For all three I used the VW "Bug" steering box with great success.  Price was right, easy to mount, ratio was ideal.  My dragster No. 2 is featured in the Photos of the old FrontEngineDragster Forum.
Dave

Offline blown away

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.10
  • Your Engine: hemi
  • Your Track: interlake dragways
  • Your Vehicle: fed dragster
  • General Location: central
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 11:52:20 PM »
Any steering parts  thx

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 08:04:45 AM »
have used vw boxes  in the pass use tubing tapped with internal threads to extend the pitman shaft a nylon pillow block near the end of the extension, used various mounting methods of mounting pitman arm, from splined a flange welded to extension and a key way and pinched bolt in the pitman arm. used long arms as to clear headers and the two piece steering shaft followed the frame with a pivot with holes drilled 1 inch apart   to slow down speed  just in front of the motor and a bell- crank up front with two tie rods attached one going to each wheel (fed with 160 inch wb as to not run front suspension) you do not want the steering too fast!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 12:43:52 PM »
Hve used SPE bo. Will need little work. Think new grease will make steer esier thzn is. Will tke 225 plus the ride. cmconstruction2312@gmail.com if interested. can call lter this week witing for new phone lst one pissed me off and not working now.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot