Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

Good Powerglide Build Book?

(1/5) > >>

lake_harley:
I plan to rebuild and modify a Powerglide for the FED I have been collecting parts for and am about to start building. I have 2 core Powerglides and with the 12 7/8" input shaft they have that tells me they are both the preferred 1.76 ratio units. The HP of the engine will be under 300 HP (just a fun FED for local bracket racing) and I don't plan a trans brake thinking that foot-braking the car will be less stressful (less shock) for the driveline parts.

With that said, I'd be interested in a recommendation of a good book on rebuilding a Powerglide in general, that would also offer suggestions on modifications needed to live at various HP levels.

Thanks.

Lynn

denverflatheader:
Lynn - books are valuable way to gain smarts.  I used a blue Motor Manual for rebuilding my first trans in 1976.  Today, I'd look at a video first and then buy the book to rebuild a pg.  PGs are very easy trans to take apart and put together requiring basic tools and a small spring compressor that you can make yourself with a 3/8" bolt/nut and 2 flat pieces of metal.

There are couple well known tricks to help a stock pg shift faster and improve the stock pump.  Your could use them for your 300hp build.  I looked and found these two very recent videos, they're very well done by a fellow racer and he does excellent job showing how easy it is to take apart pg, modify it to improve the pump and shift high gear faster, and then put back together.  He does well in briefly explaining the "whys."   Alan     

Racing Powerglide Disassembly - YouTube

Complete Powerglide Build - YouTube

uglytruck:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1557883556?pf_rd_r=R7FFCHVAG713X4HAYMZQ&pf_rd_p=1ab92b69-98d7-4842-a89b-ad387c54783f&pd_rd_r=cf455a8a-0a7c-4e51-942e-b51eb01df2e8&pd_rd_w=GFuv8&pd_rd_wg=DsUAi&ref_=pd_gw_unk    It's a very good book.

lake_harley:
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I did a short view of both videos and expect that I'll learn a lot through them. Also, the book is one that I saw during some searches but having it recommended here suggests it is indeed a helpful book. Sometime buying a book is just a shot in the dark.

Thanks. I'll do my "homework", get the book, and get busy.  ;D

Lynn

msundstrom:
The Carl Munroe book is a great book. It goes from stock rebuild to race modifications. Great tool

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version