Technical > Spud Miller's Cave

How much nitro is too much to start

(1/2) > >>

1320motorworks:
I'm just getting into nitro so forgive me if this is a stupide question. looking into running no more than 20% on my blown injected bbc, and I've read you shouldn't start the engine on nitro. I was wondering where the safe and not safe line would be or is it with ANY amount of nitro you shouldn't. thanks.

tcoupekyle:
Have you read Spud Miller's nitro notes?
I don’t know anything about the subject really. But I had allot of fun reading the nitro notes

tcoupekyle:
http://www.fuelinjectionent.com/nitro_new.php

Really nice guy to boot. I’ll be sending him my stuff when the short block gets assembled.

sknopp:
20% is not going to cause you any grief, ASSUMING you are not trying to run high compression on it (over 10:1).  The issue is with nitro on a cold engine it does not want to burn so you end up contaminating the oil.  It gets to be a problem when you're 50% and up.  That's why we start and warm up on alky.  Blown on nitro you'll be fine.  Unblown and injected on nitro is a whole different animal.

wideopen231:
I ahve played with 25&. Only cpl hits. It makes big difference, no problem getting enough wheel speed.LOL  While I don't think you will have any issues .I still fire off primer system or bottle if have help.  Just injected no blower. Agree 50% area you get into few more things to do and watch. Guess I will find out myself.   If you have not read spuds nitro notes I too suggest it. Another thing to remember is make sure all of your O-rings are compatible with nitro and alky. DO NOT GET NITRO ON YOUR PAINT JOB. One of the reasons I went with a wrap on my car. Warning this stuff is addictive. One weekend of A/fuel and I am ready for a second powertrain for my car for nostalgia A fuel setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version