Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

Powerglide or 3-speed?

(1/3) > >>

lake_harley:
I'm gathering information and parts to build a mild, low HP FED for bracket racing....well actually more for the fun of the whole process. I had always expected I'd use a Powerglide but recently became aware of the TH200 (non-lockup and non-overdrive) that is the size and weight of a Powerglide, supposed to rotate more freely than a PG, and in a light car, according to what I've found, it is capable of handling the expected 240-ish HP of the carbureted 283 Chevy I'll be using.

Regarding transmission selection I have several questions on what transmission would better serve a light FED with low HP? It seems the addition of the 3rd gear would be a distinct advantage to keep the engine in the power range a bit better and also offer a taller (higher numerically) low gear to get off the line. One opinion I've read though adding to my confusion is that the 1.86 or 1.76 low gear Powerglide would come off the line a bit softer with less wheel spin because of the numerically lower gear, compared to the TH200's 2.54 low gear. Also in consideration is that right now I have an opportunity to pick up a reasonably priced TH200 as a core, but also thinking because of the popularity of the Powerglide for so long, more performance oriented parts are likely available at reasonable cost. Keep in mind I'm looking at a very mild 240 HP carbureted 283 Chevy, not some 600+ HP engine. I'd like to get a transmission picked soon because it would be key to laying out the engine, transmission and rearend with an alignment bar to get started on construction.

Needless to say for bracket racing consistency is what I'd be seeking and wonder how that might play into the 2-speed vs 3-speed transmission selection. Also, FWIW, for rear tires I'm thinking a 29/9.00 - 15 tire might be about right for the car and I'm estimating weight at about 1400#.

Thanks, in advance for any guidance!

Lynn

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
Man, I think there is a reason so many bracket racers use the 'glide. Like the 9-inch Ford rear end, it just offers so many advantages to outweigh the disadvantages that I think the PG is your best choice. Your converter can determine how hard the initial hit is and only having one gear change is a plus to me. Parts for one can be found everywhere from Walmart to classified ads.
I also like your choice of a rather smallish tire. I think it will work well with a 'glide.

What does your engine combo look like? HP projection? 

lake_harley:
Engine will just be a flat-top piston 283 with 58CC 305 heads...so about 9.1 compression, and a very mild cam. Likely just a Quadrajet carburetor on a Edelbrock Performer intake for now (since I have them), but it HAS to have zoomies since it's a FED, even though a 4-into-1 longer tube header would probably make more HP.  8)

SWAG on HP is about 240-ish or a tick over. I've always heard there are a lot of "300 HP" engines out there that in reality are more like 250 HP, so I think I'm being realistic.

Rearend I have, and I'll be narrowing it myself, is a 8 3/4" Mopar with a 3.23 gearset for now. That gearset is what had me thinking I'd maybe benefit from the steeper 1st gear of the TH200 3-speed. I guess in though in reality ET doesn't really matter in bracket racing as long as it's consistent.

Lynn

Paul New:
We ran a 3 speed with low HP engines years ago.  It worked good

masracingtd1167:
In it's stock form the 200 is not really a good trans ! Some of the Comp guys are using them behind a 4 cyl engine but with a lot of expensive parts ! A glide is still the cheapest way to go !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version