Author Topic: Compression for FED  (Read 3536 times)

Offline nitroscott

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.20 ET, 200 mph 1/4 mile on a Top Fuel Harley
  • Your Engine: SBC 350 in and FED
  • Your Track: Houston Raceway Park Baytown TX
  • Your Vehicle: FED Jr Fueler being built now
  • General Location: Baytown
Compression for FED
« on: March 25, 2021, 12:13:56 PM »
Hi, I have a 350 SBC to put in my FED. The problem is that I was going to use nitro as the fuel so I bought flat top pistons. Now I am going to use alcohol. I need to raise my compression ratio for the alcohol. What is the best way to raise compression on the engine and still use the flat tops? Thank you.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: Compression for FED
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:39 PM »
Easiest way is to add a blower ;D. But in all reality the only way to do it is zero deck, thin head gasket, and small combustion chambers.  Other than that new pistons

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 04:37:06 PM »
What heads are you using? like Paul New said zero deck, steel or aluminum rod? steel rods.035 piston to head clearance if your are running tight piston to wall clearance if you run the pistons loose the pistons will hit the heads need more because they rock, really check valve to piston clearance,and check it with the cam your are planning to run because the specs change the clearance even advancing or retarding the cam will effect it.  building for max compression you just have to be more careful

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
If you have a small cc head you should still be able to get at least 11 to 1 out of it ! When I started messing around with 20 percent nitro I went to a flat top piston to drop compression down ! To my surprise it really didn't slow down much on straight alcohol ! The best it ever ran on the higher compression straight alky was 7.24 and with the lower compression straight alky 7.32 ! If you need to make a little more power just put a little nitro 10 to 15 percent and that will wake it up !

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 09:38:16 PM »
If you have a small cc head you should still be able to get at least 11 to 1 out of it ! When I started messing around with 20 percent nitro I went to a flat top piston to drop compression down ! To my surprise it really didn't slow down much on straight alcohol ! The best it ever ran on the higher compression straight alky was 7.24 and with the lower compression straight alky 7.32 ! If you need to make a little more power just put a little nitro 10 to 15 percent and that will wake it up !
How much of a compression change and from how high of compression? Just interested, thanks
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 12:43:41 PM »
How much of a compression change and from how high of compression? Just interested, thanks
      With the high compression it was 13.8 now down to 12 to 1 !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 05:13:30 PM »
Good news is lower compression motor have huge tuning window and normally respond well the MFI, Unless you are looking to get every thing you can out of motor I would sweat a point or so on compression. Plus just allow you to run higher percentage of nitro w/o worry of detonation.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
I have ran alcohol on low compression 9.4 to 1 motor and it really picked it up. Just run it on alcohol as is and if you want to add some Nitro you can. From my experience you can not run much Nitro with high compression.

As for raising compression, thinner head gaskets, smaller chamber heads or bigger dome pistons.

Offline nitroscott

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.20 ET, 200 mph 1/4 mile on a Top Fuel Harley
  • Your Engine: SBC 350 in and FED
  • Your Track: Houston Raceway Park Baytown TX
  • Your Vehicle: FED Jr Fueler being built now
  • General Location: Baytown
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 02:39:47 PM »
Alot of good information. Thanks for replying.