Author Topic: measuring nitro percentage  (Read 3676 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
measuring nitro percentage
« on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:40 PM »
 First hundered percent agree hydrometer best way to measure nitro. I kind of stumbled onto another hydrometer that seems to give same answer w/o much work. I have a proofing hydrometer for  liquor  and seems a 30% load reads 70% or 140 proof alcohol. I tried it on cpl different mixtures and it read same all 3 times. Now how mcu effect a big temp swing would have I do not know,maybe Spud will chime in on this.

Not to insult anyone. the 30% NITRO WOULD LEAVE 70% methanol. I tested 25% and 15% loads.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
Re: measuring nitro percentage
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:00:19 PM »
Are they percentages verified by a hydrometer? Is there something to compensate for temperature on the proofing hydrometer?

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 07:27:17 AM »
Spud at FIE has a great kit to do this with--it comes with all important temp chart--15% at 68 is not 15% at 85 degrees
If you consider that you are mixing bomb making materials in the pits with the public standing right there then you need to be very careful about what you are doing--
It is especially important to Know what you are doing when starting the engine --one wrong move then all the "I am sorry" in the world will not fix a problem
We started and warmed on alky in pits--drained tank added nitro mixture--then when we started in staging we were starting on alky in the pump and lines--Much safer than firing up with nitro in there IMO
When I was a kid I got hit by a piece of exploding engine in just such a pit accident--made an impression

You have to be educated and Know what you are doing or you could kill someone

It was fun to fire up idle and then wait for the nitro to enter the stream--wow! If you have never run nitro do it while you can--the memory will last forever!! It is Real drag racing but remember it is pretty easy to hurt  yourself or others with it
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.008@215 on 7.00 Index
  • Your Track: Bowling Green
  • Your Vehicle: 1969 MW 214" FED
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 09:26:39 AM »
Hey Chris, like Dave said go to Spud's FIE website.  In the "nitro notes" section he has charts that show percentages for a given specific gravity at a specified temperature.  Steve K. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:46:40 PM »
I have full set of hydrometers for nitro and one for alky. That is how I know they read same.The nitro set I have electric thermometer also. After reading hydrometer,reading temp and going to chart I found out it was 40$ the proofing hydrometer read 70& alcohol, meaning 30% nitro. I did this with three different mixtures and all checked the same.   Never said it was 100% replacement. It is a quick check
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »
Have you tried to heat a 30% load to like 90 degrees and check then put the same load in the freezer to see any change in the proofing hydrometer readings?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 08:43:51 AM »
no and yes. I have checked reading in 75* and down to 55* and proofing readings different but still compares to actual nitro hydrometer reading at temperature  I wouldn't use proofing deal to set my mixture, but it would make for quick check during day. Especially in a hurry or just quick check in staging if sitting while. I am firm believer in always have a backup option. Hydrometers do get broken.

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
OK, now I get what you are doing, just a quick check.  I've not seen one, but does a proofing hydrometer measure "proof"?  If so, would the actual alcohol content be 1/2 of that reading?  If you stick it in 100% alky does it read 200?  If you're just using it as a reference I guess it really doesn't matter what the actual number is, only the relative value compared to your specific gravity hydro.

The simple solution is just to run 100% nitro and don't fuss with the hydro ;)

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »

The only team I know of that got away with that was "The Surfers".

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 04:04:45 PM »
OK, now I get what you are doing, just a quick check.  I've not seen one, but does a proofing hydrometer measure "proof"?  If so, would the actual alcohol content be 1/2 of that reading?  If you stick it in 100% alky does it read 200?  If you're just using it as a reference I guess it really doesn't matter what the actual number is, only the relative value compared to your specific gravity hydro.

It has both readings. Yes it reads proof which would be 140 for the 705 ALCOHOL. It does read percentage on  hydrometer . It does actually read same as the nitro deal in various temps without temp calculating into it. I guess temp change the gravity which changes reading and reading changes but still eqaul to nitor nitro hydrometer after the math. Hey I figured changing temp would screw it up also.Hence why i did 3 test and then checked same three at different temps. I was thinking either different percentage or temp change would sho it was fluke. But I got fooled.

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 05:01:02 PM »
I believe the Surfers secret was Toluene/Nitro to make it live. I usually have mine mixed a day or two before a race to let the endothermic reaction settle down and then check it. I put my jugs in the sun and will maybe check it for peace of mind. I rarely change a pill on a weekend race, occasionally add or takeaway a couple of degrees timing. Usually the weather/temp don’t change enough to warrant a pill change with nitro, now the driver is a different thing...very unpredictable.

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 09:17:18 AM »
I think those guys had lots of secrets.  They ran very small nozzles and very high fuel pressure.  If you haven't seen it, there's an excellent series on the web about them.  One of the last interviews Tom Jobe did.  He gives a great analogy to the concept of burning the fuel vs. exploding it.  The story about hauling their 55 gal. drums of nitro in a VW beetle is funny as xxxx.

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 / 147 mph 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 540 cid BBC 8-71 Hampton e85
  • Your Track: Kauhava
  • Your Vehicle: Fireball Slingshot
  • General Location: Finland
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 12:26:23 AM »
Yessir that Surfers series is a must to see for any drag racing fan!
I'm fast. I can make five mistakes while others think.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 05:18:57 AM »
Just do a search on youtube for "THE Surfers". Don't just search "surfers" or you'll get a lot of irrelevant videos of guys in water and bikini clad girls.
... unless, of course, you like - OH never mind...