Author Topic: EGT tuning  (Read 3229 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
EGT tuning
« on: January 30, 2021, 12:08:52 AM »
Hello
Any anyone tuning with an EGT gauge probe in a single zoomie.  If the probe is close to the head I assume it will be in the flame on a NA Engine and read high. What temps are you looking for at idle and full noise?
Cheers
Tony

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: EGT tuning
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »
I am, with a tunnel ram and hat.  I look for around 400 at idle, 700 on the 2 step and 1200 at the top end.   I run a probe in each bank just for a cross reference.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:31:03 AM by fuel749 »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:42:27 PM »
Word of caution.  Sensor location makes huge difference in temps. I like to be  6" from head and with short radius zoomie that can be difficult. EGT's are great tool if used correctly. I normally run 8 and use to keep all equal. I also read plugs(new) to confirm egt's. I know a lot like o2 for tuning. I feel both work again if used properly . I do like having both as I like lots of info to work with.

As for temps its combo dependent. I normally look for 600 700 stage and 1000 to 1100 finish line. Now on my blown deal 1050 was max and bearing needed checking, at 1100 to probably find it needed piston. On injected motor not so critical but ranges where pretty close. Some guys run 1250 at finish and are great.

Install egt,read plugs and et slip. When all is happy. egt will tell you if you need change or something has changed like pump or trash in system.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »
I have ran EGT for years and in my opinion they are totally useless. Was told by several the probe needed to be exactly 1.5 inches from flange and must read 1050 in the 1/8 mile and 1100* in the 1/4 mile. On my car that was blubbering fat and would not run until it was 1350* to 1400*.

Now O2 readings were completely reliable and consistent.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:20:08 AM »
Wouldn't EGT at least be useful for diagnosing fuel distribution problems?

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Wouldn't EGT at least be useful for diagnosing fuel distribution problems?

EGT is useful as a reference no matter what as far as I'm concerned. It'll help you figure out your combo, help with consistency and give you an idea to potential problems.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
 A TQ wrench is useless if you don't stop turning when it clicks. Egt's are very useful when used properly/ Again location is very important. No magic number.  If your motor is fat at 1100 degrees its burning in the pipe.. I ran a top of the field TA/FC for few years using egt's to tune fuel system by. I could tell diver which bearings where beat out before he got pan off.  Also would tell guys which cylinder had good chance of bad leak test while they where pulling VC's.

They work great for cylinder to cylinder tuning. Great to tell you if something plugged,pump going bad and general condition of system. ONCE  you know what numbers to look for and when. Just a tool and when used correctly very effective.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline e-drag

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.32 236 1/4mi
  • Your Engine: 468 TFX HEMI
  • Your Track: Barona
  • Your Vehicle: AA/FA
  • General Location: LoCal
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »
This is what I always went by back in the day:  https://www.ifamilysoftware.com/EGTreview.html

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 04:28:18 PM »
It's a reference you establish a base line and change jets and nozzles to get all cylinders a close as possible  used both familysoftware and racepac on injected and blown motors with either you see changes where to richen or lean system it's just a tool like a scanner, pressure gauge or any other measuring device ! always check the plugs!