Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

New to powerglide

<< < (2/3) > >>

jlesliel:
Hi Bill, Thank you for your input. I have since torn the tranny down and learned more about it.
Yes the support is dead weight, but it also serves as the alignment "dowel" for the tail housing.
My best bet is to get a light weight bearing support.

It's funny you suggested a 1.82 gear set for less rotating mass. Upon teardown the gear set was straight cut so I'm
pleased I have a good gear set. That's just great until I see the input shaft with a TCI part number that turns out to
be an input shaft for a 1.82 gear set. The more I looked and compared I finally realized I have a 1.82 carrier
with straight cut gears.

About the rear gear, It's a 9 inch strange setup. 4.30 gearset and light weight spool.

You talked about horsepower. I have no idea. Best pass as of now is 1.12 60, 5.09, 133 @1536 lbs. NE2 around here is 5.00 1/8 mile.

When I bought the car I weighed it in the front and it was 220. A friend with a FED told me it was about 100 lbs light so I built a
weight box and added 125 lbs to the front and took weight out as I learned more about it.

uglytruck:
Is the carrier cast or formed steel?

jlesliel:
It's stamped steel.

BK:
I believe the support also backs up the gasket when in reverse or when the brake is set.

--- Quote from: jlesliel on December 21, 2020, 07:05:38 PM ---Hi Bill, Thank you for your input. I have since torn the tranny down and learned more about it.
Yes the support is dead weight, but it also serves as the alignment "dowel" for the tail housing.
My best bet is to get a light weight bearing support.

It's funny you suggested a 1.82 gear set for less rotating mass. Upon teardown the gear set was straight cut so I'm
pleased I have a good gear set. That's just great until I see the input shaft with a TCI part number that turns out to
be an input shaft for a 1.82 gear set. The more I looked and compared I finally realized I have a 1.82 carrier
with straight cut gears.

About the rear gear, It's a 9 inch strange setup. 4.30 gearset and light weight spool.

You talked about horsepower. I have no idea. Best pass as of now is 1.12 60, 5.09, 133 @1536 lbs. NE2 around here is 5.00 1/8 mile.

When I bought the car I weighed it in the front and it was 220. A friend with a FED told me it was about 100 lbs light so I built a
weight box and added 125 lbs to the front and took weight out as I learned more about it.

--- End quote ---

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:

--- Quote from: jlesliel on December 22, 2020, 03:20:44 PM ---It's stamped steel.

--- End quote ---

Some racers will tell you that the 1.82 gearset is weak, due largely to the stamped steel planetary carrier. Here is what my transmission supplier told me to do to make them survive.

The 1.82 will fail because the twelve pinion shafts will flex in the stamped housing, leading to the pinion gears to moving around. Using silicon bronze rod TIG weld each shaft on both ends with three small beads to essentially fuse the entire carrier assembly into one large unit, significantly increasing its strength. Go slowly so as not to anneal the heat treatment on the pins.

At the power levels I'm using I have not had a 1.82 planetary / carrier failure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version