Author Topic: New to powerglide  (Read 3876 times)

Offline jlesliel

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.17 131 1/8
  • Your Engine: None
  • Your Track: North Star dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: DFW
New to powerglide
« on: December 14, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
Always been a torque-flite guy but now have my first glide. I'll be going through the tranny this winter to see what I actually have inside. I have had the long tail housing off and noticed it's an aftermarket housing with a bearing instead of a bushing. I saw that it still had the factory governor support with the governor removed and my first thought was replacing it with a aluminum support with a bearing and then it hit me. Is that support really necessary? Isn't there a bushing in the rear of the case? Rear case bushing and a bearing in the tail housing. Wouldn't that support the output shaft? I realize I would have to use a simple block off plate to stop pressure leakage. Wouldn't that work?

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • General Location: Washington Coast
Re: New to powerglide
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 07:15:43 AM »
Yes the case has a bushing, I believe the only purpose for the gov. Support bushing is the load from the rear pump if it has one and the weight of the governor. They utilize the bushing/bearing for a shorty output shaft kit to support that end of the shaft. I always use the bushing thinking it limits flex in the shaft but machine the gov slip ring portion off if you’re weight conscious. Don’t see why it could not be deleted though just never done it.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 07:22:53 AM »
 Best teaching guide made. Powerglide  handbook  Carol Monroe  .Its on ebay for about 25 to 30 bucks. Best transmission part you will buy.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline jlesliel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 04:46:45 PM »
Yes the case has a bushing, I believe the only purpose for the gov. Support bushing is the load from the rear pump if it has one and the weight of the governor. They utilize the bushing/bearing for a shorty output shaft kit to support that end of the shaft. I always use the bushing thinking it limits flex in the shaft but machine the gov slip ring portion off if you’re weight conscious. Don’t see why it could not be deleted though just never done it.

My thought was just using say 1/4" aluminum plate to replace the gov support and provide a good seal for the gasket against the case and let the case bushing and the tail housing support the output shaft. Yes I'm being weight conscious, I'm pretty close to the index but want to be able to run under and bring the car back to it. I've already moved some weight up front and got rid of my ballast box. Not going N&P crazy, just looking for any more that I can find. Thank you for your input.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 06:25:23 AM »
Before you go and do that it might be a good idea to talk to one of the major builders ! I have rebuilt a lot of powerglides and have never seen a long tailshaft one without a stock support or an aftermarket one with a bushing or bearing !As Chris mentioned TSR racing products 1 800 394 5889 sells a book on powerglide racing transmissions ! They are also a good source for parts and information !Not knowing what you have as far as HP and ET you want to run makes it hard to give you any ideas on what to do ! If you are not making huge HP using a 6 cyl planetary 1.80 ratio will save you a few lbs of rotating weight over a v8 1.76 ! Another low cost weight reduction would be a lightened ring gear in your rear end ! That can save you another few lbs of rotating weight ! I hope this helps you and keep us posted on your progress ! 

Offline jlesliel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2020, 07:05:38 PM »
Hi Bill, Thank you for your input. I have since torn the tranny down and learned more about it.
Yes the support is dead weight, but it also serves as the alignment "dowel" for the tail housing.
My best bet is to get a light weight bearing support.

It's funny you suggested a 1.82 gear set for less rotating mass. Upon teardown the gear set was straight cut so I'm
pleased I have a good gear set. That's just great until I see the input shaft with a TCI part number that turns out to
be an input shaft for a 1.82 gear set. The more I looked and compared I finally realized I have a 1.82 carrier
with straight cut gears.

About the rear gear, It's a 9 inch strange setup. 4.30 gearset and light weight spool.

You talked about horsepower. I have no idea. Best pass as of now is 1.12 60, 5.09, 133 @1536 lbs. NE2 around here is 5.00 1/8 mile.

When I bought the car I weighed it in the front and it was 220. A friend with a FED told me it was about 100 lbs light so I built a
weight box and added 125 lbs to the front and took weight out as I learned more about it.

Offline uglytruck

• Simul justus et peccator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.35 @ 140 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 557 Ford injected alcohol
  • Your Track: Madras Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 1950 Ford F1 pickup
  • General Location: Sandy, OR
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 11:34:44 AM »
Is the carrier cast or formed steel?

Offline jlesliel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 03:20:44 PM »
It's stamped steel.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
I believe the support also backs up the gasket when in reverse or when the brake is set.
Hi Bill, Thank you for your input. I have since torn the tranny down and learned more about it.
Yes the support is dead weight, but it also serves as the alignment "dowel" for the tail housing.
My best bet is to get a light weight bearing support.

It's funny you suggested a 1.82 gear set for less rotating mass. Upon teardown the gear set was straight cut so I'm
pleased I have a good gear set. That's just great until I see the input shaft with a TCI part number that turns out to
be an input shaft for a 1.82 gear set. The more I looked and compared I finally realized I have a 1.82 carrier
with straight cut gears.

About the rear gear, It's a 9 inch strange setup. 4.30 gearset and light weight spool.

You talked about horsepower. I have no idea. Best pass as of now is 1.12 60, 5.09, 133 @1536 lbs. NE2 around here is 5.00 1/8 mile.

When I bought the car I weighed it in the front and it was 220. A friend with a FED told me it was about 100 lbs light so I built a
weight box and added 125 lbs to the front and took weight out as I learned more about it.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 06:32:00 AM »
It's stamped steel.

Some racers will tell you that the 1.82 gearset is weak, due largely to the stamped steel planetary carrier. Here is what my transmission supplier told me to do to make them survive.

The 1.82 will fail because the twelve pinion shafts will flex in the stamped housing, leading to the pinion gears to moving around. Using silicon bronze rod TIG weld each shaft on both ends with three small beads to essentially fuse the entire carrier assembly into one large unit, significantly increasing its strength. Go slowly so as not to anneal the heat treatment on the pins.

At the power levels I'm using I have not had a 1.82 planetary / carrier failure.

Offline jlesliel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 05:51:48 AM »
Here's the gearset. I guess someone at one point made straight cut gear sets for a 1.82 carrier.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 12:36:34 PM »
It's stamped steel.

Some racers will tell you that the 1.82 gearset is weak, due largely to the stamped steel planetary carrier. Here is what my transmission supplier told me to do to make them survive.

The 1.82 will fail because the twelve pinion shafts will flex in the stamped housing, leading to the pinion gears to moving around. Using silicon bronze rod TIG weld each shaft on both ends with three small beads to essentially fuse the entire carrier assembly into one large unit, significantly increasing its strength. Go slowly so as not to anneal the heat treatment on the pins.

At the power levels I'm using I have not had a 1.82 planetary / carrier failure.

I have never had anything that did have a failure.LMAO Heck I broke a lenco 3 spd in a injected 454 bracket car. Yea nobody in right mind would run a lenco in bracket car,but hey it was different.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot