Author Topic: alky nitrous question for spud  (Read 5358 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
alky nitrous question for spud
« on: April 07, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
  I have been working on this idea and running numbers only so far.Working on flow bench to get better base.

Heres what i want to do.

I will have injection system using enderle pump.

Instead of one main bypass I will have two equal to flow of one in regular system.

using the smaller jet which would match need of fuel for nitrous
  Close one solenoid thats directed to tank and opening a solenoid upT-d in up stream thats directed to fuel side of nitrous. This would give me my fuel needs without a electric pump.

Getting exact flow number will of coarse require flow bench work and knowing working pressures,which I am working on. I have the speed drive for pump and now setting up gauges for pressure readings in variuos points. Getting readings for flow is something I have not found gauge for. Not looking to by complete computerized system. Can do a lot of math but would rather have direct readout of flow.

Any thoughts on why will not work or how to better do this would be appreciated.Also any leads on direct flow reading gauge would be nice too. I know kind of cuts into your business and understand if reluctent to give out details.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:26:34 PM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
Re: alky nitrous question for spud
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »
Since the nitrous is constant flow, you may be better off using a seperate, electric fuel pump just for the nitrous system.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »
If system was going to be used for most of run I would agree. This deal is for a 1 second shot and would be one around 330' mark or right before finish line.This is just  bracket deal. Not looking to runT/D with it yet.
 If I want to go fast there is whipple charger sitting on shelf,but then that would need lot more trans than what i have mines only rated for 2000hp. Not looking to repeat Garlits famous shot of car cutting in half.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:20:49 PM »

The only nitrous experience I have is my street driven '70 Camaro. Nothing on methanol or mechanically injected.

I do know how it works and your idea for enrichment sounds just fine to me. You're doing the same thing as a nitro car with a "High-side/Low-side" setup. You'll run with an extra bypass to take away fuel and run on the "Low-side" until the nitrous kicks in...then you take away a bypass orifice by closing a valve and you're on the "high-side" sending more fuel to the motor.

Just like a nitro car, you'll need to discover what bypass area to use for both circuits.

For a cheap solution, you could look on eBay or scientific surplus sites for "rotameter" type flow meters. It's a graduated tapered glass tube in a housing with a steel float inside. The float indicates flow. You can frequently find them used for under a $100. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotameter

A more expensive (but still affordable) solution is to look on Omega or Cole-Parmer's website. A single sensor will run $300-600 and you'll need to send the pulses to some kind of panel meter that you can program to read GPM. Basically, a programmable frequency meter...you'll tell it how many pulses per gallon and all that.

Instead of getting all wrapped up in building a flow bench, you could just send the work to a shop like mine. Send the nozzles and pump and request that you want X.XX amount fuel to go through the nozzles with ONE pill (high-side). Then request that another bypass pill be added until it flows Y.YY GPM. The flow numbers can be captured and sent along with the pills to make it happen. The whole thing should cost less than $300 easy.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions