Author Topic: Novice needing some help from the veterans on a build and some rules  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Rmarsh

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: None
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: None
  • General Location: Midwest
Thanks for the help in advance.... its much appreciated.

I recently attended a hot rod reunion in Bowling Green, KY and xxxx did i get the itch. I work at an old rod shop and have a lot of interest in classic cars, but typically in the restoration department. After that event im interested in getting into an old nostalgic FED. Im currently looking at a 1976 Competition Engineering chassis, 186-inch wheelbase car (the plan would be for a blown Hemi). Its just a roller that is about 70% finished. I could really use some direction in knowing if there is a class to run this car? is it still legal to use (obviously needs to fit the rules and regs of index) Are these old cars still allowed to run down the track or just for Cacklefest only? Can i build it to run in a nostalgia eliminator class or maybe super comp?

Ill have several questions in building this car but would like to know where to head to get this information. I don't want to just show and cackle, i would to build, tweak and make passes with it.

i have a lot to learn but pretty interested in a build to maybe go from just watching to being a part of it.

Thanks again guys/girls

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
Re: Novice needing some help from the veterans on a build and some rules
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 05:09:44 PM »
Here is my advice which some may not like it. If it will not CERTIFY the Chassis or they DO NOT HAVE A RUN LOG BOOK then walk away and do not look back.

A Front Engine Dragster is an absolute blast to drive nothing like it. But they can be hard to get to work right and dangerous if they do not. Tires, weight, horsepower, chassis flex, Track and more can be tough to make the car work. They all have to work together and it is not as easy as it sounds. Even when they are right they are still not the same as a suspended door car or even suspended Dragster.

Before I would buy one I would want to see a run log book with Rounds Won, Races Won and Championships Won. If there is aborted runs I would want to know exactly why. If they have a car they can not get down the track then you will have same problem. If they do not have run logs with few if any aborted runs then it is a Cackle car.

To get chassis certified is cheap usually about $200 or even less. I got my dragster done at the track our group made a deal to do most of our cars same time. I think it was $100. Seat belts and things like that are fairly cheap ripping out bars and replacing them to get car to Certify is not.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »
Along the lines of what Curly 1 recommends I would say just hire a shop to build a current NHRA-legal rolling chassis, then build it up with any vintage nostalgia bits you care to surround yourself with. The likelihood of a 1975 chassis still being raceable without significant upgrades (e.g. a six point cage) is slim. As long as you are not dead set on "owning a piece of history" you would be better off starting from scratch. Good luck. Have fun.

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 05:34:02 AM »
Have the chassis certed. The chassis guy can tell you what the deficits are. Money well spent... Run books are nice but not always a good indicator. Our current car is a 5pt Nostalgia Top Fuel certified 200 inch chassis.  We run with a 6.0 cert 3yr vs 5.99 quicker NTF 1yr tag. Our car runs dead straight all but 1 pass out of 450-500 passes(extreme tire shake). We only have about 1/3 of our runs recorded as many of the passes are like copied runs.
Good luck with your project what ever it ends up being.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 07:08:53 PM »
Aside from the chassis cert, how much other work is required to make this car the way you want it?  Are you doing the fab work? If the car isn't currently set up for a Chrysler are you prepared and capable to get the new engine mounted with near perfect alignment for the couplers used in the driveline?  What trans is that chassis set up for and is there enough room for the trans you plan to run?

If you're not doing the fab work something to consider is that some chassis builders consider anything other than their own work is "wrong" and will try to make you change a pile of stuff to the way they do it whether it needs it or not.  This can obviously add up to a pretty serious amount of money.  If you're going to do the work I'd suggest spending a lot of time at nostalgia races studying cars and classes.  Also if you're doing the work keep in mind that the last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time and that's what usually stops projects.  It takes a lot of follow through to finish a car nice.

Another option to consider is buying a used late model roller.  Something built [and run] in the last ten years will likely be up to date and will come with a bunch of stuff.  You may find something that literally needs an engine and trans plugged into it to be a complete car.  One other thing to consider is your experience level with a blown mechanically injected engine.  Not a huge deal but some people can't quite wrap they're heads around it.

Whatever you end up doing make sure you have fun!

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
Might I suggest looking for other options for no other reason other than for comparison?

RacingJunk .com is a good source to go to.