Author Topic: Re: Tube Notcher  (Read 4157 times)

Offline Don Munyon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.55 @156 in 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 350 sbc hilborn fuel injection alcohol
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Front engine dragster 145 wb
  • General Location: East coast
Re: Tube Notcher
« on: September 14, 2020, 02:46:19 PM »
 A few years ago I was giving serious thought to building a replacement chassis for my old front end dragster. After doing a bunch of research it look like the FED build would actually be three projects. (1) make a chassis jig, (2) cut the tube ends for near perfect fit and (3) finally assembling & welding the chassis. The chassis jigs mostly seemed overly complicated in order to assist in measuring and the fitting of the tubes. In the machine shop we referred to this as "file and fit at final assembly" (that is sarcasm).
 That brings me back to the tube notching operation, in my mind I should be able to take a precise measurement and then cut the tube for a precise joint. In fact all the tubes could be precut from a detailed drawing, but that may be stretching a little bit. So my first project I’d like to share if there’s no objection is the building of a new type of tube notcher. After all we know the world needs another tube notcher.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
Everyone wants to buy the next best thing!  Seriously though I have been thinking about buying the Baileigh TN250 my notcher is a nice JD2 but I see times where I would like some of the features of the Baileigh.  Have fun with the build of your car

Offline Don Munyon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
Thanks Paul. My problem is that the tube notcher that I would like doesn’t seem to exist, except for some very expensive plasma tube cutters. Most notchers cut one end and then you try to made the second end to the correct length and clocked right with a "Sharpie Marker"! What I would like to be able to do is cope one end reposition and cope the second end and be complete. This could be done with a vertical mill on short tubes but once you change the angle of the head you have lost your position. So my goal is to make a notcher that would do this, but keep the cost reasonable and make it not too complicated (sometimes that’s a real challenge for me) LOL.

Offline Don Munyon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:31:26 PM »
So, the design I’m working on would be like a small lathe with a small 3 jaw chuck at one end to hold the tube and a carriage that you could move with a drill and hole saw cutter mounted to it. I would like to think that it could cut a notched tube to 40 inches or so out of a full length of tubing, no rough cutting to length. It would cut at a range of angles and have precise positioning, I have purchased a number of parts and pieces for it and hopefully it’ll work as planned.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Hmmm interesting I will like to see your progress on this

Offline Don Munyon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 04:19:38 PM »
 I’m calling the machine a "center line tube notcher", which is the principal on which it is to function. Attached is a photo of some of the parts that I have for the notcher. A 6 inch three jaw chuck, looks like I’m going to have to bore out the thru hole so I can insert a 2 inch diameter tube also a 2 x 5“ channel that I had made up and it will be the base of the machine. A ball screw and matching ball nut that should give me precise z-axis positioning , an acme screw for the cross slide, a couple of aluminum hand wheels and a bunch of bronze bushings and some ball bearings. A rotary encoder for a digital position readout and finally my notebook with drawings and notes for the build. Looks like I only need to machine up about 40 parts and I'll be good. LOL

Offline e-drag

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.32 236 1/4mi
  • Your Engine: 468 TFX HEMI
  • Your Track: Barona
  • Your Vehicle: AA/FA
  • General Location: LoCal
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 05:52:51 PM »
This is a handy calculator:

https://metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi