Author Topic: new to the page  (Read 5267 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Re: new to the page
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 04:23:34 PM »
exracer....I realize this thread is a few months old, but I was in the same situation, wanting a short wheelbase FED like might have been common in lower classes when I was in my teens and early 20's. I was considering even a bit shorter (125" to 130") than you mentioned. So far, I've made no start on building, but did buy the S&W FED plans. They are very well done! Before I bought them I called and asked if the plans could be used with modification to build a shorter wheelbase car and the answer was yes.

I'm somewhat in the same situation as you, but I'm 68 years old. I had a fabrication business and a pretty well equipped shop and agree with one of the earlier posts that mentioned building would be a huge part of the fun.

What I had, and still have, in mind would even be milder than what you have since my plan was to use a stock but freshly rebuilt 350 I have. The only modification from stock is a very mild cam.

For me, building a FED is a on-again, off-again thought since I'm currently working on a '30 Model A coupe hot rod. My delima is that I have a desire to build another hot rod after the current one and already have a lot of the parts, but I still think about a FED on a regular basis. If I live to be 100 and stay in my current state of health (which are both HIGHLY unlikely) I would likely never build everything I dream about.

BTW....your locations just says "Midwest". Where are you from? I'm in Southeast Missouri.

No matter what you decide, best wishes, happy retirement and stay healthy!

Lynn