Drag Racing Discussions > Altereds

What did I do

(1/3) > >>

1000hpJohn:
Hi all,   
  Well, my wife and I bit The bullet and bought a 1932 Bantam altered with a 540 big block Chevy in it.
Goes high 7.9’s/8.0’s.  What a rocket ship compared to my 3500 pound El Camino running eights.
Has a glide of course and is definitely a learning curve for me.   I did two small hits and the best 60 foot was 1.08 and it scared the crap out of me 8)

Next time out I hope to do a nice 300Ft to 8th mile pass and see how it goes.
I need to figure out how to attach some pictures.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
I see one of your home tracks is Milan. Check out Nostalgia Comp they have three times a year. The next one is their Nostalgia Drags Sept 25 - 27.
pro tree
half second indices
qualified ladder off reaction times
full entry fee pay back in purse

32bantam:
Check out the NDRL (Nostalgia Drag Racing League) ...GREAT group !!!

1000hpJohn:
I’m trying to get my license in time for the September race.
Yeah since I’ve got the altered I need a Group to race with.

Curly1:
A few things to keep in mind with an Altered. Make sure you get a good burnout and very important make sure you are pointed straight down the track and in the groove. Once you get out of groove it can get ugly quick. If it ever does anything stupid just get out of it and let it settle completely down. Most of crashes I have seen were because they got back on throttle after getting out of it. One of the other things is just get out there and make laps, run every race you can to get good competition seat time. It is a whole different animal than a door car and you will learn a lot.
On my car and probably many other Altered leaving soft does not cut it, the car wants to walk around. Just does not hook up right. I have to line it up good and hit it hard, then it plants rear tires, transfers weight, brings the front end up a little and hauls butt. Rear tire pressure is critical as on mine it is riding rear tires for a while. Your car runs similar to mine so if chassis is set up right should not be too bad. At that speed and faster a rear wing really helps, faster you go smoother it rides. You can run with out a rear wing but after you put one on there you will probably never run with out one again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version