Author Topic: new to the page  (Read 5260 times)

Offline exracer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: Chevrolet Alcohol 355
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: Midwest
new to the page
« on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
 Hi all, new to the page. I have spent 35 years building, and racing dirt track modifieds, and now that I'm retired from the sport, I'd love to build a FED! I have a Mittler Bros.
 bender, but I'm not sure if the radius would work out for 1 1/5' CM tubing ( 6''radius). I really like the early Kent Fuller built Tommy Ivo style rails, but I don't know if those are legal to run. I'm 65 years old, and retiring VERY soon so l"m looking to build something other than another dirt car. I don't know anyone in my neck of the woods who is into the FED scene, so I have LOT"s of questions! I'm guessing something around 140'' wheel base would work for me. I have TIG, and MIG welders, and 20 Plus years of machining experience, and not to mention 35 years of automotive collision repair experience. Any advice on chassis blueprints, and construction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Greg

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
Re: new to the page
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 01:40:22 PM »
Welcome aboard, there's a wealth of knowledge amongst the seasoned FED guys here.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »
Welcome Greg, decide how fast you want to go and order the correct SFI book from NHRA. All the information you need to build a chassis right.
Good to see another Greg on here...
Greg S.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 04:15:33 PM »
Welcome, any ideas on what you want to run for a power train?

Offline exracer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
I have a cast iron 355 " Claimer" motor I built for my son to learn on years ago.  487X iron heads, flat top forged pistons, steel crank, and balanced assy. 9.5-1 compression. I can run it on gas with a good Holley 750. I'm not sure how to go about cooling it. Do you fill the block with water, or what is common?

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 07:55:42 PM »
Greg, Your current engine as it sits is capable of being raced and driven up the return road back to your pit spot - even on gasoline. If you do not want to rely on a tow car to drag you around the track you can install a lay-down radiator and forego a tow car. A small electric pump such as a Teel brand bilge pump is all you will need for circulation, or you can use the stock pump if you desire. And an electic fan on the rad.

With careful tuning your car will do low nines / high eights naturally aspirated. Good luck

Just another Greg in Frenchtown.

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
I understand that you have the skills and want to build the car but you can actually buy a very nice rolling chassis for less than the cost of the components required to build it. Ask me how I know. Best of luck and welcome, Allan

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 06:32:14 AM »
there are a few places that offer basic blue prints,  mark williams, neil and parks.   i have the prints from S&W race cars. and they are very detailed, multi sheet, plenty of measurements on the prints to help you build the chassis kit they sell, but if you have a bender  you can just do your own chassis.   buy there prints and the SFI book to what ET you want to be in and have fun, its not hard, read the sfi multiple times.......... if you have the time and knowledge, building them is half the fun.

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 02:30:04 PM »
There’s a lot of good info in this page. I turn to this group allot and I’m really glad they’re here

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 05:57:05 PM »
I don’t know anyone offering prints for a 140” car I know Tuttle use to offer prints for a 185” car you may have to get some drawings and modify them to suit your desire.  No matter what ET you plan on running I would purchase the SFI 2.6A specs good for 7.50 and slower.  If you ever had desire to go quicker than that 2.4C is 6.0 to 7.49
http://sfifoundation.com/drag-racing-chassis/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 07:02:41 PM »
If you are going to buy prints Call Neil and Parks.Great guys ,two tons of knowledge and almost unlimited parts for FED's. Prints would be cheap buy in to the info you will get.  Cooling can be pretty basic with exception being mounting with limited spacing. Quite a few here will probably be able to point you in right direction. Welcome aboard.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline exracer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 07:44:50 AM »
I have contacted at least 3 chassis builders about plans and El don't get any response, or I get a negative response trying to talk me out of a short week base car. I would like to here from some members who actually have, and drive a short wheel base care, and listen to their opinions. The car l want to build would be more of a nostalgia type FED. Thanks, Greg

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
if you have the basic knowledge and equipment build your own, the way you want.

call S&W race cars get the prints for there 200" FED chassis,  you will not regret buying that set of prints.... it has cage measurements, axle measurements, etc. very detailed multiple sheets... then get the SFI book to determine tubing diameters and such so you can "tweek" the build as there are gray areas

if your into social media  check out brian fox and king chassis.  he builds cars that have that "look"  https://www.instagram.com/king_chassis_/

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 04:26:32 PM »
When we first built the dragster 160" because we didn't want to run front suspension, it had a 406 flat pistons and vortec heads on gas used a rad lying flat between the lower rails with an electric fan and a water pump running at 30% underdrive and could flat track it running back to back runs which was good until we started to build more power. it was less  work and more fun but had to go faster!

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »
Neil and Parks is now offering people to come to their shop and build chassis. You weld so that might be a great deal. Call them, they are great guys and can help with anything.
Greg S.
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways