Drag Racing Discussions > Altereds

Weber carbs for a buick v6, hold on

<< < (2/4) > >>

gordon:
Should be able to duplicate the float less system that was used years ago. Needles and float removed for unrestricted flow.  Bowls were tapped for fuel outlet line (don't) remember size of fitting but larger than inlet. Located so fuel never gets above normal high mark when using floats. It is now constant flow , use low pressure and high out put alky compatible pump.  As long as pump can supply more volume than what engine can pull through the jets you are golden. The jets and circuits must flow a bit more than double the amount of gas by weight. I have some charts stashed some where . I will look.  This system was used for a while on VW& porsche powered off road race cars to combat float bounce flooding problems .  Also used to use Methanol fuel in Mikuni motorcyle carbs for drag racing. Did not have to delete floats on those. Just used correct jets , needles , and needle jets (emulsion tubes) in order to flow larger volume required. As far as the Mods to the down draft webers info should still be floating around on internet. I think it was called constant flow or floatless system. I can't remember that far back. internet search should come up with this stuff if I can't find it on book shelves.

noslin:

--- Quote from: gordon on June 19, 2020, 03:06:23 PM ---Should be able to duplicate the float less system that was used years ago. Needles and float removed for unrestricted flow.  Bowls were tapped for fuel outlet line (don't) remember size of fitting but larger than inlet. Located so fuel never gets above normal high mark when using floats. It is now constant flow , use low pressure and high out put alky compatible pump.  As long as pump can supply more volume than what engine can pull through the jets you are golden. The jets and circuits must flow a bit more than double the amount of gas by weight. I have some charts stashed some where . I will look.  This system was used for a while on VW& porsche powered off road race cars to combat float bounce flooding problems .  Also used to use Methanol fuel in Mikuni motorcyle carbs for drag racing. Did not have to delete floats on those. Just used correct jets , needles , and needle jets (emulsion tubes) in order to flow larger volume required. As far as the Mods to the down draft webers info should still be floating around on internet. I think it was called constant flow or floatless system. I can't remember that far back. internet search should come up with this stuff if I can't find it on book shelves.

--- End quote ---

there was an article in hot vw's back in the 80's one time on (what they called it)  full flowing the carbs.  tried to find it a few years ago but no luck.   aside from having enough volume i dont think the jets can be opened big enough to provide the fuel. 

dean

buickfed:
cool. info is always appreciated for things not normal. lol

Supercat:
Put a 2 port Hilborn on it and have fun. Still oldschool  ;)

JEFF/21C:
I believe that the needle and seat plus the floats are removed, and a hole is drilled and  a return line is installed at fuel level and pressure is reduced to lessen the chance of flooding, I think that a fuel injection pump might work  because the flow increases with RPM would be trial and error! would be easier to sell the carbs and and buy stack injectors

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version