Social > Your Builds / Photo Gallery

Flip-up cowl

(1/2) > >>

Jaychalmers:
My FED chassis has never been easy to get in or out of, especially since I've gotten a little "older" (and 10 pounds bigger due to being here so much).  Of course, the effort getting in and strapped up is always more than worth it.  But, here's a little idea that's made getting in and out a LOT easier.  It's a cowl made out of .050" aluminum (using a homemade brake with a 4" pipe as the bending die).  The cowl flips up and open in the back.  I used the .060" side panels as pivot points with large bolts and locknuts to set the opening and closing tension.  The cowl actually stays open on it's own, although I'll probably put some positive struts and/or locks of some type in the cockpit.  "FED's Forever"!
(For some reason, I could not preview the attached five photos which are within the website size limit.  So, if you can't see any of them, please let me know.)

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
I like it. I would add some kind of positive lockdown device, maybe a couple of wingnut style Dzus fasteners. It might make the tech guys breathe easier.

Paul New:
I don’t see a firewall now with the cowel not stopping at the motor plate or do you have one further back?

dreracecar:
So much wrong, I really do not know where to begin

fuel749:
Start at the beginning and tell him everything that's wrong with his clearly unfinished project/work in progress

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version