Author Topic: Flip-up cowl  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Jaychalmers

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.02 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 388 Enderle injected SBC
  • Your Track: Music City Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: Home built FED
  • General Location: Tennessee
Flip-up cowl
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
My FED chassis has never been easy to get in or out of, especially since I've gotten a little "older" (and 10 pounds bigger due to being here so much).  Of course, the effort getting in and strapped up is always more than worth it.  But, here's a little idea that's made getting in and out a LOT easier.  It's a cowl made out of .050" aluminum (using a homemade brake with a 4" pipe as the bending die).  The cowl flips up and open in the back.  I used the .060" side panels as pivot points with large bolts and locknuts to set the opening and closing tension.  The cowl actually stays open on it's own, although I'll probably put some positive struts and/or locks of some type in the cockpit.  "FED's Forever"!
(For some reason, I could not preview the attached five photos which are within the website size limit.  So, if you can't see any of them, please let me know.)

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Flip-up cowl
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
I like it. I would add some kind of positive lockdown device, maybe a couple of wingnut style Dzus fasteners. It might make the tech guys breathe easier.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:37:07 AM »
I don’t see a firewall now with the cowel not stopping at the motor plate or do you have one further back?

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 09:34:53 AM »
So much wrong, I really do not know where to begin

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »
Start at the beginning and tell him everything that's wrong with his clearly unfinished project/work in progress

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Zipped tied fire extingusher, brake lines all over the place, no cross bar over the legs, no helmet bars, exposed bolt ends holding the rear end in place, front roll bar hoop must be continues(1pc) and not 2 pcs welded to the cut off cage uprights   How am I doing so far???

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 07:52:05 PM »
It’s hot and humid on the plains of Kansas this evening so I’m not going out anywhere. Now since I have the time, let me address your question Bruce: “How am I doing so far???”.  Well, when Jay shared his cowl project with us all you could muster with your first reply was “so much wrong, I really don’t know where to begin”. Nothing more, just a snide comment with absolutely no intrinsic value.

Now it appears you’ve had a few days to think about it and decided you found a starting point to begin, the result being you proceeded to take a huge crap on the man’s car. And coming from a big fella as yourself it was an extremely large load. In the end you still didn’t comment on his cowl or ask any further questions of inquiry concerning his project. Most of us here are trying to support one another in a positive and constructive manner, but on occasion there are some here that appear to be the south end of a heifer that’s headed north.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 06:40:00 AM »
Zipped tied fire extingusher, brake lines all over the place, no cross bar over the legs, no helmet bars, exposed bolt ends holding the rear end in place, front roll bar hoop must be continues(1pc) and not 2 pcs welded to the cut off cage uprights   How am I doing so far???

Probably gonna get banned for this but here goes...

Pretty much as expected, like the biggest douche bag in drag racing.  The car is clearly a work in progress with the work being done by the owner(s).  They'll do the best they can and I'm sure all that stuff will be fixed to tech and chassis cert specs before it makes a pass.  They'll probably also put cylinder heads on it before they try to run it.

You seem to lack the understanding that not everybody does everything like you, especially  home builders.  Sometimes they make things just so they can work on the car.  Those parts may not be on the finished product and they're learning every step of the way.  I'm willing to bet that they know about all the items you mentioned and are just trying to work out the process of getting it done.  Not an easy thing if you've never done it or had somebody show you how to do it.  These poor guys were just trying to show other people an idea they had in case somebody else might think it was interesting.

Seems to me a couple years ago you made a post about leaving this site.  No one begged you to stay and a couple people said don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.  But I'm sure you were always lurking, frothing at the mouth about the horrors you were seeing and needed to comment on but held your tongue until one day you couldn't take it anymore and you came back.  I'm sure the collective membership moaned when they saw you were back.  Why don't you do everybody a favor and go away again.

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
Thats ME Number one AZZHAT on this sight

To all you enablers out there,
     No comment own the cowel BECAUSE--- 1, it was not finished, should an attaboy be given because he could bend alu?  Obviously has run the car before as it was, so your "work in progress" falls short at this time with the areas I singled out.  I was too big to get in and out of my first car without body removal, Tech had a real issue with me on that.
   Many years of Teching cars and knowing the rules, you know , those little printed words in a book that tells you what you can and cannot do before you can drive the car down the race track  that were written in because somebody got hurt or died for a rule not in place. Ive scene seat belts with bolts thru the straps holding them in, plumbers tape securing the batteries and fuel tanks, and yes zip-ties for the fire bottle and weights, favorite was the ripped upped firesuit  held together with gray tape.
  For shock value I can be critical and down right a prick in the manner in which I express my concerns--- Im not your mommy
  IF his track (outlaw) and the people doing the tech allow the car to run-- its on them, they are the ones, in the end, who are responseable because they signed off
  Sorry to the OP if my comments hurt your feelings, I know some people try and do the best they can with whatever they have available. but I am not an enabler