Author Topic: Zoomie pipes wanted  (Read 6917 times)

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
Re: Zoomie pipes wanted
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2020, 07:40:04 PM »
same as i have now, but going turn them the other way.
have to measure them. my son bought these, but forgot where.

btw, surprised myself by getting a pic on here. lol

dreracecar

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 09:05:51 AM »
Most commercial offerings go 45* 90* 180* bends,  having  custom bends will get pricey due to set-up charges.  Go with  6" radius bends cut in half to get length out of the port instead of a tighter bend and a straight off the port. Exit angle will parallel the flange angle and only 4  180* bends are needed and you can fudge the cut at the flange to get them standing straighter if you want

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 03:11:51 PM »
If you can get Ted to bend you a set he has no problem with custom bend. I use to get 3 different angle per set and cost was very reasonable.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 03:05:54 AM »
I've gone to making my headers out of stainless. Way better, less hassles with rust and fatigue. You can get mandrel U-bends of every flavor from Woolf Aircraft in Romulus MI.

https://www.woolfaircraft.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GMB

I've been told Stainless headers crack up? Is that an urban myth?

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 08:15:36 AM »
only because people tend to make SS headers thinner and that makes the service life is shorter,  You make them the same gage as mild and they weigh a ton.   So you wind up spending twice the amount for SS and can get 1/2 the service life

Offline Rainmaker

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 quarter mile
  • Your Engine: 405 sbc & 355 sbc - methanol
  • Your Track: Ardmore Dragway - Southern Oklahoma
  • Your Vehicle: 2009 Dave Tuttle - FED
  • General Location: So. Central Oklahoma
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
You might look at Shoenfeld Headers (? ) web site - lots of oval track headers and parts.  I have used them for plates and u bends.

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 06:23:35 PM »
You might look at Shoenfeld Headers (? ) web site - lots of oval track headers and parts.  I have used them for plates and u bends.

Buick 350 header flange is not super common as a SBC/BBC would be.  Lots of tube bends out there from varius supliers

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 07:25:44 AM »
I've gone to making my headers out of stainless. Way better, less hassles with rust and fatigue. You can get mandrel U-bends of every flavor from Woolf Aircraft in Romulus MI.

https://www.woolfaircraft.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=GMB

I've been told Stainless headers crack up? Is that an urban myth?

When I did the set for my altered I made sure there was back shielding gas on the inside of the header pipe. I use a mini-Nerf football to hold the purge gas line inside the header pipe as I'm TIG welding the outside. I race pretty much every weekend during our season and after 19 years of use no problems so far.

The specific gravity for stainless steel is around 8000 kg/cu m vs about 7700 kg/cu m for mild steel so, yes they will be about 4% heavier than a mild steel set. But since you don't have to coat/paint them I'm calling it a wash.