Author Topic: Let’s talk about points mags  (Read 2595 times)

Offline OldSchoolHP

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92/158 - 1320'
  • Your Engine: 434 SBC
  • Your Track: AK Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 125 Altered
  • General Location: Alaska
Let’s talk about points mags
« on: April 30, 2020, 01:20:16 AM »
I cringe at the thought of putting a “suppression wire” of anyone’s claimed “low ohm” making on any Mag. It’s literally Stone Age thinking.

Seems there could just as easily be a properly tuned “noise filter” applied to the power strip / source for all the other 12v devices, data recorder, tach, etc, that would be able supply clean 12v power without stealing output from the mag to the plug.  Anybody have electrical know how that can add to this idea???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Let’s talk about points mags
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 08:29:38 AM »

Well, if you have an Old School car (no solid state stuff on board), then you should run solid core wire. That is best for output at the plug alright and lasts years and years.

Just filtering the power supply is easy, there is no desired signal present in the 12VDC or ground. Brute force works there...removing EVERYTHING is simple. Most electronics devices destined for automotive use already filter the incoming power and ground pretty good as part of their circuit. It's a known issue that all EE's designing that kind of stuff are aware of.

Filtering the actual speed signal to remove unwanted spikes and fuzz is difficult without screwing up the desired signal you need to keep. Remove the bad, leave the good...or at least leave enough of the good that the signal is still recognized.

The difficult problem with filtering is that filters are very frequency dependent. On an engine, the frequency is always changing as you rev up the engine. If race engines ran at one speed all the time, filtering would be simple. The filtering needs to be much different at idle as compared to 8,000 RPM for example...and everything in between and above.

The problem is radio frequency interference that is induced through the air. RFI is zapped right into the tach unit though it's housing, into the signal input wires, etc. Not an easy problem. I've worked on this issue for YEARS with varying degrees of success.

For most folks, "racing suppression" plug wire of 50 ohms per foot or less solves most of the problem and impedance that low hardly removes any spark energy. It's a fair trade.

I'm currently working on a new tach signal device for my lower drive products. A ring of magnets is added inside the drive and a small hall effect pickup unit added to the side using the timing pointer screws present on all FIE and Mallory lower mag drives made for the last 45 years or so. Works great on the bench and is much quicker, easier and more cost effective than adding a crank trigger pickup.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline OldSchoolHP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 03:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications about filtering and frequency. That more or less shot holes in my theory like a browning 19a3. Lol.
I picked up a Auto Meter Pro Control for Rev limiting - I’m not sure if that’s solid state or not. I’d like to get the most power out of the Mag I can but it doesn’t look like I can get away from the helical suppression wires.

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »

If you're going to use the Pro Control for rev limiting, be sure to use a separate relay with it to do the actual limiting of the magneto. Otherwise, the Pro Control relay will fail. They are delicate little guys and don't work for long in that scenario. You could use it to actuate one of our Rev Limiter Relays and it would live for a LONG time. They can be found here: https://fuelinjectionent.myshopify.com/products/rev-limit-relay-pigtail

Have fun!
 Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline OldSchoolHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 03:56:47 PM »
I might already have one of your relays ! I’ll have to look when I get back home.