Drag Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Engine oil

(1/3) > >>

58Apache:
Hi Guys, I really want as much imput as I can get. I have just built a 572 Keith Black Aluminum Chevy. I built it pretty much to mirror Reher and Morrisons 583 20 degree motor. My heads are Brodix BB2 + which are different, but everything else is pretty much the same. Reher and Morrison suggest using a syntheic 10w-30 motor oil.  I have used Mobil 1 for years in my trucks and cars with great suscess, but I am very interested in what you guys have to say.

dreracecar:
Everyone has their favorite for their own reasons, but there is no clear-cut winner,  all I can say is that if the engine was built with Synthetic oil in mind then that's what you use. Brands don't really matter. Do you plan a break in with regular oil?

58Apache:
Yes, that is how I have broken in my other motors- Valvoline straight 30 weight for start up and break in. Then change to Mobil 1 10w -30

gregm784:
Oil threads can get 'heated' as everyone has a favorite.

I ran my bracket motors on Mobil 1 for years & years. Never had an issue.  I run my blown alcohol engine on Valvoline VR1.  Weight of oil is the call of the engine builder (not assembler). 

58Apache:
Greg, did you use regular Mobil 10W-30? My dad always used good old Valvoline 20W-50 conventional racing oil. It worked, but I noticed in my motors in which I used Mobil 1 that they looked like new on the inside when torn down. I am torn between Valvoline VR1 20W- 50 and Mobil one 10W-30. When I read that Reher and Morrison suggested using a synthetic 10W-30 race oil I was surprized. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version