Author Topic: Shorty Powerglide Conversion  (Read 6265 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Shorty Powerglide Conversion
« on: January 23, 2020, 08:05:25 PM »
Is there anyone who offers a service to shorten and re-spline a stock Powerglide output shaft to build a shorty PG? I thought maybe some of the companies like Moser or Dutchman who re-spline axles might do it, but it isn't mentioned on their websites. I realize shorty planetary/output shafts can be bought aftermarket but the application would be a low HP car (under 300 HP) and I'd like to be as economical as practical without building a grenade. I already have two Powerglide "core" transmissions.

Thanks

Lynn
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:56:14 AM by lake_harley »

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: Sharty Powerglide Conversion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 06:26:05 AM »
A friend of mine cut one down. He cut the spline off, cut the shaft off, turned the shaft down, bored out the splined end and pressed it on the shorter shaft. welded the pressed on splines and made mid 8 second passes in a home built dragster for years.
P.S. his was a Shorty. A Sharty is something completely different.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 06:28:48 AM by BK »

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
Re: Shorty Powerglide Conversion
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
"Sharty"  :o I need to proof read a bit better before I post. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your friend did. Did he shorten the output by taking out a section between the planetary and the splined end? Or, did he remove the shaft from the planetary body and weld the cut off shaft back in? After reading your description several times it sounds like the first scenario, that he machined a "boss" on the planetary end of the shortened shaft and bored the splined end to  press fit it onto the "boss", and then welded it back together.

Sorry if I seem dense, I feel I understand things better if I can put them in my own words to double-check my understanding.

Lynn

BTW...I was able to correct my typo in the subject line of my posts. I thought it would have changed it for the entire thread title, but it didn't.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:43:37 AM by lake_harley »

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
Re: Sharty Powerglide Conversion
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
According to their website, Moser Engineering can shorten and re-spline your output shaft for $75. Click on the "Support" at the top of their page then click on "Shop Services". They can also shorten and re-spline your stock axles.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 08:51:47 AM »
Thank you for the direction. I had not checked the "Support" section of their website. $75.00 to respline the output shaft is quite reasonable. I'd be able to get the 8 3/4 Mopar axles done too for $125 for the pair. Doing it through one company would save a bit on shipping too. Seems another question/problem is solved! Thanks!

Lynn

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
The first description. The shaft was never removed from the planetary. All the work was done at the tail end of the shaft.

"Sharty"  :o I need to proof read a bit better before I post. Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your friend did. Did he shorten the output by taking out a section between the planetary and the splined end? Or, did he remove the shaft from the planetary body and weld the cut off shaft back in? After reading your description several times it sounds like the first scenario, that he machined a "boss" on the planetary end of the shortened shaft and bored the splined end to  press fit it onto the "boss", and then welded it back together.

Sorry if I seem dense, I feel I understand things better if I can put them in my own words to double-check my understanding.

Lynn

BTW...I was able to correct my typo in the subject line of my posts. I thought it would have changed it for the entire thread title, but it didn't.

Offline BK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »
If this is for the track I'm not sure resplined axles will make it through tech.

Thank you for the direction. I had not checked the "Support" section of their website. $75.00 to respline the output shaft is quite reasonable. I'd be able to get the 8 3/4 Mopar axles done too for $125 for the pair. Doing it through one company would save a bit on shipping too. Seems another question/problem is solved! Thanks!

Lynn
[/quote]

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
I'll have to check into using re-splined axles. I'm considering building a FED that would purposely be pretty low HP.....like 275-300 HP, just to keep from getting things too complicated and expensive. Purpose would be to do some bracket racing. If I see that building one is going to get out of hand, considering what my modest interest is, I'd probably just pull the plug on the project before I start.

Thanks for offering your knowledge.

Lynn

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
BK is right, the NHRA rulebook states " Aftermarket axles and axle retention device mandatory on Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock, Top Alcohol Dragster, Top Alcohol Funny Car, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas, Super Street, and 10.99 or quicker E.T. cars; also mandatory on any car  (regardless of class or E.T.) with a spool." Looks like your combination should run somewhere in the 10 second range so aftermarket axle would be required. Lots of rules and requirements and most all are for safety:)

While you can get by with re-splined axles in a low horsepower and lightweight car, a full size doorslammer running the same times would surely abuse them. Same rule covers both situations so...

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 05:43:52 PM »
Moser os a good place to use.

Offline vuu0ai

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 = 9.32
  • Your Engine: ford, gas
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: USA, Illinois, Chicago
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:50:43 AM »
I'll have to check into using re-splined axles. I'm considering building a FED that would purposely be pretty low https://balkanpharmaceuticals.to HP.....like 275-300 HP, just to keep from getting things too complicated and expensive. Purpose would be to do some bracket racing. If I see that building one is going to get out of hand, considering what my modest interest is, I'd probably just pull the plug on the project before I start.

Thanks for offering your knowledge.

Lynn

interested if you've started your project. i've been thinking about something low-budget myself too.
if you did, please update on how's it going, pretyt interested. thanks
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:14:59 AM by vuu0ai »

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 11:21:12 AM »
Not bad mouthing your need to save money. IMO axles is probably the worst place to do so. A set of lo end after market axles is not that much,especially in the big picture. Heck a set of tires for tow truck cost more. Plus the cost of if one breaks no drivier is going to keep it out of wall. I understand building low HP setup and may never want more,although I don;t understand not wanting more power part.  Its just cheap insurance IMO. Then again its not my money or butt in the seat.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Stroll through any swap meet with race parts and you will see many of those shafts twisted--I would say it is pretty reasonable to get a "new" mfg shorty kit --that is great quality  Just not a place where I want a failure--Low HP yea OK but who stays with that for long? I would say that is a critical spot on any racer car and i would opt for a correct strong new option--even if you had to save up and wait  I have seen too many of those fail
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 07:38:28 AM »
If you are wanting to move your current gears and stuff into a shorty carrier, I have several used shorty 1.76 carriers. Some with an after market shaft welded in and some stock that have been shortened.