Author Topic: Potential FED Build  (Read 25066 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Re: Potential FED Build
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2021, 07:41:34 PM »
I picked up another key item for getting started on a FED. I wanted to have the wheels I plan to use to measure backspace and determine rear axle width when construction starts. I got a very good price on a really clean pair of 15 X 8.5" American Torq-Thrust wheels. The wheels are one of the last key components to begin placement of the engine, transmission and rearend and mockup to begin building around it all.

Now....I just need to stay focused on the '31 Model A hot rod I've been building to get it wrapped up. Another month or so should do it but at worst I should be building a FED by late Fall.

Lynn
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:40:22 AM by lake_harley »

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2021, 07:53:53 PM »
I went to some Fuel & Gas drags yesterday and today at Sikeston, MO, the track where I plan to run. There were about 7 or 8 FED's there and spent a lot of time talking with one of the drivers and his crew who answered a lot of questions for me and generally gave me a good education on FEDs. To say I'm pumped about getting started would be a huge understatement!

Lynn

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2021, 01:46:55 PM »
I got a piece of 1 1/2" X .058 to try a test bend with my JD Squared manual bender. I have a 5.5" centerline radius die for the 1 1/2". Short story, it failed miserably! So, I called a friend who builds circle track cars and is about 1 1/2 Hr. away. He has a Mittler Brothers bender that uses a long radiused "shoe" that follows along with the tube as the die pulls the tubing around the die to bend. It was a bit bigger centerline radius than I would have preferred (7"), but the bend was beautiful! As I counted, there are only going to be 9 bends necessary to follow the S&W FED plans I have, so I went from feeling I would either need to find or buy a chassis that suits me, to being happy that I have the resources to do what I wanted to do all along, and that is to build ground-up. I continue to stockpile a few parts and pieces here and there, so as soon as I get my current project (hot rod Model A Coupe) on the road I'll be in FED mode.

Lynn