Author Topic: Finally down the track on second outing..  (Read 2017 times)

Offline matt b

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9:31 1/4
  • Your Engine: 406 / 355 / 632 Chevy's
  • Your Track: Northstar
  • Your Vehicle: 1955 Chevy
  • General Location: Texas
Finally down the track on second outing..
« on: November 12, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
Finally got the MW car together and down the track semi-successfully on our second outing.

Been 12 months of assembly, other projects and work.

First time to track since took the car down all seemed fine, burnout was uneventful and I decided to do a footbrake leave in high gear just to see if it went straight and stopped well. Didn't worry about cutting a light and had asked for a single lane run since we were shaking the car down. Car spun just a bit but left straight - felt really good until about the 330 when I got a visor / face load of nice warm oil and backed her down quick - blazing trap speed of 59 MPH. Note to self - put visor ALL the way down every time.

Turns out that the three piece Enderle injection manifold / intake gaskets / china rail interfaces needed some minor machine work and some additional Ultra Grey. Acceleration was pushing oil back into the valley / head corners that found a direct leak path into my helmet.

Second time to track I can report a better outcome. 6 passes, all but one was high gear roll into the throttle leave as we continue shaking down. Best was 5.80 @ 132. The single TB pass was an absolute comedy.....I think I remember three distinct wheelies during the pedal party.
I've got to get the go-pro rigged up in the cockpit to keep an eye on the tach - was spinning a bit around the 100' mark and quite a bit near the finish line. Top end spin I'm thinking is around the point it's coming up on the high speed. Kept going down in tire pressure ended up at 7 lbs. Friend that was helping me out commented the tires seemed pretty stiff - we checked with a variety of gauges in the pits and turns out my low pressure gauge is fubar - 7=11. Our day was over but a new gauge is on the way.

Reasonable tire pressure test session coming soon....

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
Re: Finally down the track on second outing..
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
Great first outing.  Yes on the visor.  Make sure it clicks closed.  Oil is hot, fire is hotter.

nice catch on the gauge. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com