Author Topic: stage rpm vs stall and wheel speed  (Read 6179 times)

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
Re: stage rpm vs stall and wheel speed
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »
Maybe correct on steering.So far it seems not to have any effect of front wheels,reason I took to extreme when checking it.Plus steering seems to have zero bind in it. Heck I might screwed up and had rod ends in right location to help. If so it was at least 90% luck.Slip in front of motor is about same point as first rod end.

I thought when driving a FED you where always suppose to be on toes and ready to----------What was that thing.Oh yea drive the car.LOL  Sorry had thousand rearend guys tell me I would have to be driving all the way down track in FED vs RED just cruising down.My reply was"xxxx I thought that was what a driver did".
  My car is a home built chassis, built to 6.0 specs. 185" wheelbase, SBC, Powerglide with 1.67 low, 4.30 gear, 9 in converter that flashes to 5,500. MT 33x10.5w tires. Fuel cell, battery and fire bottle out front + about 84 lbs on the nose. It took about 10 test hits adding weight, adding tire pressure and raising the wheelie bar before we figured it out. Best results so far with 8psi. and no wheelie bar, LEAVING OFF IDLE, 1.06 sixty foot, 4.69 @143 shifting at 6,400 and lifting early.  Dead straight down the lane, not much driving involved. You do need to stay on your toes though because if anything goes wrong it will happen quick. I did try leaving off the brake once but it blew the tires off and shifted/hit the rev limiter without even moving so I guess I'll be leaving off idle. All our racing here is 1/8 mile. I'm probably going to change to a 390 gear so I could run a 1/4 mile. That should soften up my launch a little and then I can go with a bigger cam, more ignition timing AND make it through the 1/4 without running out of rpm. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: stage rpm vs stall and wheel speed
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 05:40:53 AM »
One point caught my attention^^^. Cam. Wondering about torque curve for those leaving low rpm. Mine is not high revving  SBC Like some of the Jr Fuel guys. Also no blower for mountain towing TQ. My power band should be 6000 to about 9000 and max tq around 6750,shift at 7500 and drop back to 6600(converter stall) with cam and crank combo I am running. Bigger bore to come will change it some as will compression increase later on.

On gear part. I have a 4.11 in it now and a 4.30 ans 3.90 on shelf for testing. Like stated early I built FED because it is cool as xxxx and will require actually driving the car more than a cookie cutter RED with 4 link and bbc. Right now its  play and tweak some piece on car to make better as I should have gotten them first time. LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot