Author Topic: Gear oil and tranny/rear end support  (Read 3997 times)

Offline DNCMOTORS

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: NONE
  • Your Engine: 540 BBC
  • Your Track: BREMERTON RACEWAY/ SEATTLE INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
  • General Location: WEST COAST
Gear oil and tranny/rear end support
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:52:47 PM »
Looking to see what people run for rear gear oil?  I have a Ford 9" with Mark Williams third member with the big pinion support.  Also, I spoke with a few drivers who recommended a solid bar or support running from the third member forward to the tranny some place to reduce flexing between the two.  Is this something that everyone else does? Thanks in advance. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: Gear oil and tranny/rear end support
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:26:15 AM »
Far from expert,more of want to be rookie. I believe you will find that running support from rear to trans or engine if that what you are asking about ,will just cause handling or breakage issues. The design of the drivers compartment will eliminate the flex part. Car has to have some flex to work and chassis from motor plate forward it has plenty. When we ran TA?FC they made rule about diagonals in floor section. We had a very reputable chassis builder install some. Result first DNQ in 4 years for first race,second race we where not NQ 3rd qualifier. Did some thinking. Took porta band and cut the bars with  a thong(like tuning fork).Result 4th shot early shut off number 2 qualifier.

HAd cpl friend who bought a TF/FC chassis to run TA/FC.  did not work  worth crap.Was to stiff for power. Built for 8000 hp and 3000 hp was not enough to make it work. Pretty sure Roo man or Bruce will chime in. and give you lot better info and heck probably tell me I am full off,well you know.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 04:34:27 AM »
A lot of Super Comp style cars run what I think your mates are talking about. It is generally a couple of heim jointed links that run from a mount on the pinion support to a similar device on the back of a shorty powerglide. It does not affect the chassis rigidity but it does take some of the longitudinal axis load off the mid plate at the step. I have also seen cars with a more rigid arrangement , generally a couple of tubes from mounts on the upper frame rails to brackets attached to the upper bellhousing bolts.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:18:20 AM »
Fuel cars mandate/require blowback struts/tubes as per rules and are sloppy fit to allow flexing, In what we do and run on the sportsman level, do not require any extra support and tend to prefer a little flexibility over rigid

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:56:28 AM »
I have a standard Ford 9" in my digger, i run 2 qts of AMSoil Severe Duty 75-90w in it. 

I do not have blow back bars on my car (7.60 SBC/Glide, 200" car), never had an issue with motor plates, etc.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 04:33:36 PM »
I didn't have any support behind the engine and depended on the motor plates only in a mid 8 sec. car. Ended up with a broken mid plate. The coupler got shoved into the back of the transmission taking out the case.

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 05:28:44 PM »
Blown 7.0 car with the trans off the motor plate only. wind up having to build a new plate every 8 years from flexing, no big deal

Offline spitzerscott

• View Profile
    • Ogg Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 5.73@118.80
  • Your Engine: 336 Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Osceola IN, Top Eliminator runs 1/8 mile
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer225 RED, Alcohol SBC
  • General Location: Northern Indiana
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 09:29:20 AM »
We run a Mark Williams all aluminum modular rear end and we run Red Line gear oil.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
Blown 7.0 car with the trans off the motor plate only. wind up having to build a new plate every 8 years from flexing, no big deal
What were the 60' times?

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 02:25:27 PM »
Leaving off the hand brake at high idle (tugging on the brakes hard) around 1.10-11, also I run no front overhang, and times are off the front wheels, a car with overhang has a 24" head start on the clocks (58' times) so I never compare or compete against other peoples 60' times and I tune for the top end to hit the number