Author Topic: electric primer pump ?  (Read 3929 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
electric primer pump ?
« on: November 06, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
Ok . I have a facet pump hooked up on injected motor using for primer system. Car cranks fine after little tuning. Use for cranking only right now.

Issue I think I am having is when shutting motor off. I pull fuel shut off,motor revs up as should before shutting o0ff,except it keeps running and running(no batteries here). I am thinking the vacuum maybe pulling fuel thru the electric pump. Pump is about 12" from main line from tank and mounted low so as to keep it wet for easy priming.Line from pump goes to a jetted line that's in middle of injector with 4 spray holes drilled in it that spray up ward and mix with incoming air.

Anyone have issue with fuel being pulled thru pump?
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
Re: electric primer pump ?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
I think you are right.
I had similar problem were vacuum would drain the primer tank going down the track.
I put a nitrous solenoid in line problem solved.
I switched to priming into the distribution block and was getting on line to ask a question about that.
Interesting timing.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:35:57 PM by BK »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 05:28:59 AM »
Chris and BK This is the one I have from Rons ! It has a solenoid on it

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
when i had a primer, i too had the solenoid/click clack pump. worked well.  mine was hooked to a gas bottle, not alcohol.  Never sucked fuel on shut down.

I would use it to flush the motor out at the end of the day too.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:04:32 AM »
I have cpl cheap NOS solenoids laying around I could use.Problem is they draw  butt load of juice and will probably need a relay to keep fuses in . A few have said they use them thru whole system  and fill it plu open 3 way to prime mechanical pump. Does not look like it would work very well in front of BV,maybe wrong there. Cpl said they use check valve with about 1 lb to open and once mechanical pressurizes it shuts valve. Seems suction could still pull fuel from Primer when shutting fuel off. Maybe going thru distribution block will reduce ability for it to pull. Looking for low draw solenoid that will only open when pump is on.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:23:17 AM »
Chris the one I showed you in the picture works that way !

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 11:05:33 AM »
Bill works like which part? Thru relay or in front of BV.

Only one tank and not adding weight. I killed my self shaving ounces then start adding pounds back.This bracket stuff is heavy. Not like heads up with no battery on board,no bunch of driver assist crap like shift solenoids and wiring out ying yang. Oh well got to do what it takes to be competitive .LOL

Looking at nos solenoids to which has low amp draw. I have one on earlier and it would pop fuse about every 3rd hit.

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
How many amps does the present solenoid draw? What do you consider low amperage?
Mark S

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
Not sure what it draws but has popped 3 20 amo fuses.Maybe wire size or bad solenoid.Its off 125 ho system which is cheap and solenoid maybe be same. I know Dave Kohler sells one that use almost nothing(like 1.5 amps or less) and is 125.00 which if fixes it may be fine.I know I have another deal I can use same one for later. If don't get before next weekend(scheduled test n tune) I will just cap primer and fire off bottle like I have done for 30 years.Dang I am getting old.Don't you hate it when you state something and makes you feel older?

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 08:17:48 PM »
Seems like you were using a higher voltage battery like 16V? If you increase the voltage you will increase the current draw( ohms law: E=IxR) you could put say a 1 ohm resistor in series with the solenoid which would decrease the amperage to around 8 amps , not the 1.5 A solenoid but may be useable. Just verify that the solenoid opens because the magnetism will decrease.
Mark S

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
thanks might try that before spending 125 bucks which is about 1/10 the new set of MGP rods I want.  Thanks.

Offline AWAG

• View Profile
  • Your Track: KRPI
  • Your Vehicle: altered
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:54:18 AM »
Could you not just use a air bleed nozzle to spray your priming fuel into the intake with? Wouldn't the air bleed holes brake your vacuum so you don't continue drawing fuel?

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 03:18:27 PM »
not sure it would break vacuum. Right now its a 3/16 SS tube with 4 ,040 holes and a .060 jet  before them.Then number 4 line down to pump.  I have been wondering how much this interfered with BV setting.I did have to lean it more than I thought I should have and this maybe why. Going to fire it up Friday and check few things before making some test shots Saturday weather permitting and nothing stupid happening.. If don't have solenoid by then I am just going back to the bottle and remove primer system,well blank it off.

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
I have cpl cheap NOS solenoids laying around I could use.Problem is they draw  butt load of juice and will probably need a relay to keep fuses in . A few have said they use them thru whole system  and fill it plu open 3 way to prime mechanical pump. Does not look like it would work very well in front of BV,maybe wrong there. Cpl said they use check valve with about 1 lb to open and once mechanical pressurizes it shuts valve. Seems suction could still pull fuel from Primer when shutting fuel off. Maybe going thru distribution block will reduce ability for it to pull. Looking for low draw solenoid that will only open when pump is on.
I'm not sure what my soleniod draws. But its only energized when the primer pump is on.
You have to be careful of a back flow and leaning out if you plumb to the barrel valve. Thats how mine is set up and I think you get better fuel distribution.