Author Topic: Dual-Idler gear drives  (Read 2786 times)

Offline spookie

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92 1/4 5.59 1/8
  • Your Track: Quarter Aces drag-o-way
  • Your Vehicle: F.E.D.
Dual-Idler gear drives
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:24:39 AM »
Has any one ever used this setup on a sbc.How good did it work,and for how long.I have never used one and just would like some histroy

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
Re: Dual-Idler gear drives
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
I believe Spud Miller is still using one on his injected nitro SBC. I've been using the same one one my injected (less) nitro BBC for 10 years. No issues with me.
Mark S

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:47:39 AM »
Story came up this past weekend about the dual idler system.  You only need a single idler gear for it to work, but the second idler gear is only there to keep the first gear in mesh otherwise it would fall out. The other story was that Jackson, hearing the noise the gear-set made, spent a buttload of money playing with the tooth pattern and mesh to get them quite , but had no sales of them because everybody wanted the noise (at that time).  For most young hotrodders it was the first "internal" engine part that they could change without complete teardown

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
I used to use a summers gear drive on mine but it was a single idler ! Worked great never had an issue with it !

Offline OldSchoolHP

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.92/158 - 1320'
  • Your Engine: 434 SBC
  • Your Track: AK Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 125 Altered
  • General Location: Alaska
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »
Has any one ever used this setup on a sbc.How good did it work,and for how long.I have never used one and just would like some histroy
It’s actually more like “who hasn’t used” one of the dual idler drives. I broke a double roller chain in the 80’s and bought a dual idler PJ gear drive and have installed that same gear set in EVERY one of my personal Drag Motors which have been from 327,355,357,372,406,408 now 434 in a Rodeck block. It started out on the street and later made several hundreds of logged 1/4 mile passes over 8000 rpm with roller cam, for 25 years. Latest assignment now running in the 8’s in a altered. So if you hear stories about them being junk? I’d employ some skepticism of that persons experience, and wonder if they bought chinesium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk