Author Topic: Not seeing any gains !  (Read 6392 times)

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Not seeing any gains !
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 12:35:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice guy's ! I guess I will move forward from here and make what I have work ! I was talking to a friend of mine who runs a comp car with a blown small block and they were having a problem with a high speed mis fire and he tried a mag and picked up big time so I think that might be my solution as well ! My sheet metal intake has no room for a mag so I might have to use an off set drive or go to a cam drive !

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 01:00:09 PM »
My solution to intake / mag interference. Two Boston HLK-101Y bevel gears in a custom gear box.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 04:05:54 PM »
Bill call Mr Parks he has a trick piece that drives mag,fuel pump and I believe a vacuum pump if you are running one.

You mean you can run a FED w/o a mag? Hum I thought that was just standard issue.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
Bill call Mr Parks he has a trick piece that drives mag,fuel pump and I believe a vacuum pump if you are running one.

You mean you can run a FED w/o a mag? Hum I thought that was just standard issue.LOL

I have an RCD tri-drive in the spare parts closet I ran a mag, fuel pump, and an System One oil pump with it

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.008@215 on 7.00 Index
  • Your Track: Bowling Green
  • Your Vehicle: 1969 MW 214" FED
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »
Bill, your setup an mine are day and night different (blown hemi with direct drive), but I'll share what I have learned.  I also started with low % nitro and pretty quickly worked up to 40-50%.  ET gains came with each jump in %, but the MPH gains were more significant. 

When I moved from the 7.50 class to 7.0, I increased to 70-75% and added a bunch of clutch to it.  To make more power you have to have more fuel, more fuel wants more clutch, more clutch wants even more fuel, and more fuel wants more spark energy.  It all has to play in the same sandbox.  Somebody mentioned your convertor and for sure, you will want it tighter for fuel.   

My best tuning aid was when I took off my mag IV and put on an old Schiffer-Cirello unit for looks.  It would put raw fuel out the rich cylinders and I was able to balance the fuel system much better.  When I got to higher % I had to go to a mag V to keep the holes lit.  I have a mag + that I'll likely switch to.

I also see a drop in ET if it's tool long between the warm-up and a race and the cylinder head temps drop too much.

My opinion is that it's much easier to run nitro with a blower, but the injected guys might have a different opinion.  Just be sure to pull your plugs and clean out the chambers and lines before trying to start it.  Also, if you have gas ports in your pistons I have heard of a case where they caused an issue with nitro.

Steve K. 

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2019, 05:16:31 AM »
So if my ignition is weak will it just not burn all of the fuel ? I did notice the last time out that it was spitting some raw fuel out of the pipes ! Can this cause other problems like detonation ! 

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
Without going overboard, you cant have too many amps with nitro.  A friend was trying to run blown nitro in an altered exhibsion class and a vertex, not enough spark to burn/light the fuel , leaned it down and burned up the engine. Times were in the low 8 high 7's

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
I think that's where I am right now with this and I do plan on switching to a mag for next year and up dating the fuel system !