Author Topic: New Dragster Tires  (Read 3991 times)

Offline spitzerscott

• View Profile
    • Ogg Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 5.73@118.80
  • Your Engine: 336 Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Osceola IN, Top Eliminator runs 1/8 mile
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer225 RED, Alcohol SBC
  • General Location: Northern Indiana
New Dragster Tires
« on: October 13, 2019, 07:38:51 AM »
We are looking at replacing our dragster tires, front and rear. We bracket race on the 1/8 mile, run 5.70@ 119. We currently have Goodyear Eagles all around.  Of course our fronts are 22x2.5x17 and our rears are 14x32x15  D5.  I have read on other forums that the Hoosiers are better for a track that is not the best prep'd.  What are your thoughts on that?  I would also like to go to a 15x33x15 rear, any input there?

dreracecar

Re: New Dragster Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »
Everybody runs differently, what works for some might not work for others,

My 2 cents on tires is this Front tires don't mean squat, so go with the ones that are less expensive (unless they are paying out tire contingency) to save some bux.
 The rear tires IMO are too wide stick with 12" but that may require new wheels also. Misconception that a wider tire will give you more traction on a marginal surface with a dragster. it makes things worse because you are trying to work a bigger tire that floats, A narrower tire offers more lbs per sq inch on the surface and is lighter. Tire brand?? whatever is easiest to come by. But I think the (can be more expensive) GOODYEARS, have a little more traction life in them

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 09:29:59 AM »
I would also say that you have too big of a tire on that car ! The Hoosier 12x33 is a good tire and the M+H 12x33 is also a very good tire !

Offline spitzerscott

• View Profile
    • Ogg Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 5.73@118.80
  • Your Engine: 336 Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Osceola IN, Top Eliminator runs 1/8 mile
  • Your Vehicle: Spitzer225 RED, Alcohol SBC
  • General Location: Northern Indiana
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
Maybe I should have been more specific,  this is a 225" Spitzer Rear Engine Dragster, hardtail. Does that change anything?

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 01:43:02 PM »
Yes, what is the tire that most of your competition (same style car) use?

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »
We are looking at replacing our dragster tires, front and rear. We bracket race on the 1/8 mile, run 5.70@ 119. We currently have Goodyear Eagles all around.  Of course our fronts are 22x2.5x17 and our rears are 14x32x15  D5.  I have read on other forums that the Hoosiers are better for a track that is not the best prep'd.  What are your thoughts on that?  I would also like to go to a 15x33x15 rear, any input there?
I run an altered that runs the same e.t. and mph as you.

I currently use Hoosiers - 12 x 31.5 X 15. They hook well and do not require a big burnout. HOWEVER, they do not hook well on a cold track / cold ambients - regardless of how long a burnout I do.

I too am considering a smaller tire. In my case I'll try a 10.5 x 29. My reasoning is I've seen some K/A roadsters in NHRA Comp Eliminator using small tires on their cars and going way faster than I intend to. I'll be changing coil overs to match ride heights and maybe a 4-link change to re-establish the I.C. So I would say you can probably get away with a smaller tire. The current thinking in RED bracket racing is to use real big tires so I may be out in left field here. That hasn't stopped me in the past.

Try it.