Author Topic: First full pass on current combo at last!  (Read 3839 times)

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
First full pass on current combo at last!
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
Exactly a year on from our first meeting with our 'new' combo we finally, after a weekend of frustration, got her down the track under power all the way. The driver pedalled slightly off the line to a 1.33 60', 5.67 @ 137 at the 1/8th but it really charged after half track to 8.40 @ 184mph! We were hoping for 7.7 / 7.8 @ 170 ish but what the hey, looks like we could run 7.3s sometime soon! This was with only 30 degrees of timing! I think it leaned out at the big end, plug plating was burnt just up to 1st thread. Check out this video, we're on at 22 mins, LH lane, you can see me start the motor & on the line.

Offline jeff/21

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.24
  • Your Track: any with-in a 6hr radius
  • Your Vehicle: fed
Re: First full pass on current combo at last!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:46 PM »
nice , you are out and running,not like some of us taking on too much work and the car is sitting in the corner.

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »
Congrats! What a charge last half of the run:)

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 03:35:25 AM »
Thanks, checking motor over this weekend, compression is good, all around 160psi cranking (don't have a leakdown tester), if oil looks good probably just re-torque heads then ready for next meeting. I think I'll richen it up a little & put timing up to 32.

It's been hard work all year, we had some safety improvements on the chassis & cage which were delayed from January to early April, we had new rear end gears, new coilovers, cam dowel issue, spotted that the engine 'builder' had fitted offset lifters in the wrong positions (!), found a cracked lifter, I broke the powerglide front pump and also the park mechanism had been incorrectly fitted, there were metal shavings in the box & park was close to not working at all but fortunately no other damage. Also it's been really hard to start, it was firing then dying really quickly with a normal bottle no matter what you did (maybe the nozzle was too big?). Removing the legacy start retard helped a bit but we're getting a pump up sprayer as quite a few teams here use them. Control of delivery is much better, I borrowed one for the last two runs.

Incidentally, if you look at all the video & the others from the event, you will see Roland Leong, the Venom nostalgia F/C team got him to come over & help with the tune. My favourite classes are Nostalgia Super Stock, Outlaw Anglia (some are in the 7s) & NFC though not many of them performed well this weekend. And our class, Supercharged Outlaws of course! There's a lot of very slow bikes which are genuine period pieces, interesting but hardly exciting spectating.