Author Topic: Overseas new members ride  (Read 35367 times)

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 / 147 mph 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 540 cid BBC 8-71 Hampton e85
  • Your Track: Kauhava
  • Your Vehicle: Fireball Slingshot
  • General Location: Finland
Re: Overseas new members ride
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2020, 10:59:39 PM »
Installed an delay box to help me on full tree events

I'm fast. I can make five mistakes while others think.

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 10:32:53 AM »
I have also started collecting shiny bits and pieces...

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
Finnish Fireball - pretty nice, I’m guessing it’s the 8-71 Hampton, one of those zero maintenance/no striping required units.  Alan

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 03:02:51 AM »
Finnish Fireball - pretty nice, I’m guessing it’s the 8-71 Hampton, one of those zero maintenance/no striping required units.  Alan

Yes sir you are spot on with that quess. Here's and quick update pics of the finished rear end brackets, and I also fabricated grips
to my butterfly just to make it a bit thicker for better feel.

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 09:35:14 AM »
Problem with plastic grips is that they melt in a fire

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:24 AM »
That is true. I made them out of the very same polycarbonate race car windows are made of. Helmet visor, windbreaker, knobs... all will melt but not burn with flame.

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 08:58:41 AM »
used to play the plastic stuff at the aircraft factory.
if you want color the pieces, get some rit color dye they use on clothes.
mix it up, heat it up and let the parts soak in it until the darkness you want.
'plexiglass' is soft and will color quick.
'lexan' is hard and takes a while for the color to set in.

dreracecar

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 05:43:03 PM »
One has to be able to see out of the helmet visor so its a price that has to be paid,  and years back they ruled out plastic windscreens and required metal. Some racers resorted to covering the plastic with alu foil to pass tech.  Times have changed and we are back to lexan screens

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.008@215 on 7.00 Index
  • Your Track: Bowling Green
  • Your Vehicle: 1969 MW 214" FED
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
Hey Bruce, what's your opinion on wood grips on a steering wheel and brake handle?  I've had some claim they insulate better than bare metal in a fire.

dreracecar

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 02:24:47 PM »
Years ago in OHIO for the reunion top fuel Brendan Murry had a huge fireball in the lights, said that the wood grips helped as things got instantly hot.  Again many many years ago when I was OFF ROAD racing a car caught fire and the rubber melted off the steering wheel onto the drivers lap and hands, granted in those days we were wearing single layer suits and gloves, but the driver did get some nasty burns. Chances of fire in these cars we run are so very rare these days, Top fuel is different altogether.  Most if not all of the high dollar door cars these days run a leather wrap steering wheel and not the $25 chrome and foam wheel'

For tradition sake, I prefer wood grips

Offline sknopp

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.008@215 on 7.00 Index
  • Your Track: Bowling Green
  • Your Vehicle: 1969 MW 214" FED
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 09:31:57 AM »
Brendan also told me he was glad he was wearing his open face helmet with glass goggles as a full face helmet would have melted the Lexan.  That was the biggest F.E.D. fireball I've ever seen.  I believe the cam drive in the Chevy failed. 

I have noticed that some of the pro drivers appear to be wearing some form of woven thin glove (assume Nomex) under their A-20 glover.  Anyone know what they are and where to get them?

dreracecar

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
even tho Brendan credits the mask and goggles, the issue was that neither the mask and/or goggles had/has  a SFI cert on them. and the goggles have a glass lense that can shatter with shards of glass in your eyes

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 04:10:40 AM »
Brendan also told me he was glad he was wearing his open face helmet with glass goggles as a full face helmet would have melted the Lexan.  That was the biggest F.E.D. fireball I've ever seen.  I believe the cam drive in the Chevy failed. 

I have noticed that some of the pro drivers appear to be wearing some form of woven thin glove (assume Nomex) under their A-20 glover.  Anyone know what they are and where to get them?

Steve,
        I wore kevlar gloves under the -20 stuff. Easy to find and generally under $10 pair

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Finnish Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 03:31:01 AM »
Last weekend was the first race here in 2020 due to the virus. My slicks are done, I finally took a look on the stamp and they were molded 2007,
nothing lasts long enuf nowadays. So I had a bit of problems hooking. Car slams the bars very hard with transbrake and then unloads and spins with weak tyres.
When I lowered the Tbrake rpm down to 3000 that led to bad shakes. Footbraking I was able to make normal 8.74 sec 147 mph pass. 60 ft varied
between typical 1.23 to 1.78 and anything between, no consistency whatsoever. Great for bracket racing. It's time for new slicks and more ballast to the nose,
there's 20lbs now but I will add another 20 lbs, hoping to slow the raise. Could also try lowering the wheelie bars but last season that did only harm the launch.
We tried different pressures too but nothing helps these slicks anymore, thats quite obvious. As a topping on the cake I was out first round with -.006 red light.

I tried how it feels to drive on one wheel only but to my surprise the ET was not faster like that.

Still had plenty of fun and ten passes down the track shook off the dust. I got my new SFI 7.50 sticker too which is nice. There's no slicks
available in our country at the moment so I will use some tire softener I ordered from UK, and purchase new slicks over the winter. Shipping
takes time in an container, and air freight cost is as much as the tyres so thats not really an option either.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 07:26:44 AM »
I do not know all the details to your car but at one time I ended up with 120lbs of weight my engine is out 42” I run around 70 now. 

My car weighs 1800 with me in it and full of fuel front end weight ranges between 390 and 430lbs