Author Topic: Fabricated Fuel Injector  (Read 9021 times)

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.30's
  • Your Track: Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Fabricated Fuel Injector
« on: May 27, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
Hi Guys (and Gals), My friend Greg K. (the Frenchtown Flyer) thought you might like to see my Homemade Fuel Injector I am working on for my FED. I am not a machinist by any means, but I do know a few and they are gracious enough to give me pointers from time to time. I fabbed everything in this video, except the barrel valve and spool, which I am working on now. I hope you enjoy it.

Jacin Barnes

Hopefully this link will work:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:57:20 AM by RacinJacin »

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Fabricated Fuel Injector
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
Thanks for posting Jacin. For those who don't know him Jacin is an excellect fabricator, as evidenced by his completely home built FED, from the engine to the chassis to the tinwork. Here's an older video of him racing my old Logghe (orange) altered. In this video he's got an 8.0:1 blower motor long block but without the blower, which is what his new injector will supply fuel to.

aka Greg K.

WHAT FUN!!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:26:58 AM by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER »

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
Jacin – enjoyed seeing your video.  Yes will certainly improve the looks of a 409, or hemi.  I’ve sanded, buffed and polished a few items, worth all the effort as verified by your video.  You must have alot of unrestricted time, 99.9 percent of the rest of us would just buy a metering valve : )  Quick question, what’s the butterfly diameter?  Alan

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
Hi Alan, Actually I have less time buffing and polishing than you might think  especially with the base since it was machined pretty smooth to begin with.  I also learned a little speed when doing the top  - which amounts to - USE those different grits!!!!  :-)  Advice I wish I had learned long ago. Presently I DO have a little extra time now as my previous employer decided they could do it better in China and Isreal. Rotsa Ruck with that! :-) As for the butterflies -  they are 3" - 10 deg.  IIRC it works out to ~28sq. in. and the scoop is slightly larger.  I did the barrel valve because I think I may have seen a place for some slight "improvement".

Jacin
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:19:07 PM by RacinJacin »

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 12:12:27 PM »
28 sq. in., excellent, do you know what the original Scott Slot was, I think it was closer to 30 sq. in.  For that mirror finish, the more you do and learn the tricks, the easier and faster it goes...

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 12:51:37 PM »
I've seen several "originals" - of those I would say they are LESS than 28sq. in.  Mine is slightly taller - just enough that I can get my hand in there. Mine uses 6 screws like a Hilborn 4 port - the original Super Slots used only 4 screws.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »
Ironic timing on this post. I am almost fineshed with my new Shotgun styled but with one off Injector.  I will try to get some pics posted later once its totally finished. Cost wise I am at about 175 bucks.The shaft cost me 145 of that. Now if you add in argon,welding rod ,tungsten's  and electricity it goes up.If you add in time I lost my butt.LOL Being second one because first one I tried to use way too thin metal and ended with it flexing in and out at idle its even worst on time. But hey I could have been sitting on couch watching TV all of that time.. 

Nice job.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:54 PM »
Wideopen231, would love to see pictures!!! I think I have 20 bucks on the shaft, but I am gonna make another one because I think it "moved". I had it near perfect when I first did it, but I think it has developed a slight twist.  I'm gonna try some stress proof and see if that's any more stabil.  I just ordered a few feet of O1 for the spool valve - I wanna try making a hardened one. This has been a FUN project! Things I thought would be EASY were HARD  and some things I thougt would be HARD were EASY!

Jacin

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
Wow that is really cool I’ve always thought how cool would it be to build my injector hat setup but wow nice work!

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 06:55:34 PM »
Thank You Paul, I've always thought the same thing!!!!  I used to also think,  "How cool would it be to build my own distributor too...":-)
    I need to redo that video and add some of it running in my Tow Vehicle!

jacin

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 10:15:39 AM »
... I need to ...add some of it running in my Tow Vehicle!

jacin

That's right - he's got a '46 pickup w/ 392 hemi. And let's not forget that bitchen "air bagged" open trailer.
Nostalgic

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 06:03:53 PM »
Here's my dragster and truck ('47 Ford -392, Iron T-flite, 9-in rear)
Old video but shows the trailer pretty good.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2019, 07:14:31 AM »
Very creative, fun to watch and the air bag idea provides plenty of oil pan clearance loading/off loading.  Took some brainwork to design the pivot point work with the tandems.  If we were having an open trailer contest, you’d be in 1st Place.  Hemi truck, hemi fed, surely by now, FTF has influenced you to acquire a Ford inline.

Offline RacinJacin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 11:46:15 AM »
  Denverflatheader, The trailer was a fun challenge to design. My original plan was to just find a kick butt design and just copy it. After searching  the net to find the slickest open FED trailer we were disappointed in what we found. Just not many guys building these. So my buddy Stan (RIP) and I grabbed some crayons and napkins, and sketched out a couple concepts. From there I did a layout on Cad to figure the pivots, CG, and bag forces. It worked out way better than I had ever imagined. Stan was a construction equipmet mechanic and insisted that i use certain components - he and I both spoke OVERKILL.   On his insistence I installed a semi trailer cord - and as ridiculous as it might sound - it has been flawless! Also on his insistence I used TruckLite junction boxes - again they have been flawless. Stan knew his xxxx!  I miss him everyday. I digress. It was alot of work, I didn't save a penny (over buying one), but it is EXACTLY how I wanted it - that's what you are really paying for.
  As for the truck - it was built by my friends Dad (Carl Lemonen - RIP) in the mid 60's. Thru a twist of fate I ended up with it. I've kept it exaactly the same except for some upgrades to make it tow better. Modern Driveshaft, 9" rear, disc brakes, power steering - still has the original I-beam and of course the 392 that Carl installed. I first saw this truck when I was a little kid - it looked "funny" even then (it being so old) so I asked my friend Gary about it. He told me it was his Dad's "Hot Rod and it had a Hemi " - I didn't know what ANY of that meant back then - not sure my buddy did either, but  hey in our defense - we were maybe10 years old!
  WRT Greg, he is definitely a BAD influence - in the BEST way possible!!!

I've Rambled on too much.

Jacin Barnes

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
Jacin very nice trailer.  We are building a similar one just as a single drop axle trailer though. That injector is very nice also.
You can always tell when a person has pride in what they do.
Keep up the background info it adds personality to what we do ;)