Author Topic: Help....Input on cage modifications  (Read 3460 times)

Offline lrust

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Atlanta Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: '67 GTO
Help....Input on cage modifications
« on: May 19, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »
I am considering purchase of an existing FED however the cage is too small for me (I am 6'2" and 190 lbs).  I got in with street clothes and it clearly would need to be changed to fit me:  both shoulders touched the bars, only 2 inches or so above my head (no room for helmet) and my knees interfere w shifter and steering.  So it would need to be modified in all 3 dimensions.  Chassis was certified to 7.0 3 years ago.  I believe there are some local shops that are competent in this type of work and the FED is less than 2 hours from me and other than me fitting into it....it is what I am after. 

Question is can anyone advise on rough order of magnitude of number of manhours or cost to modify without seeing the car so I can evaluate approx. modification cost plus purchase price or to pass on this one and keep looking.

Thanks in advance.....

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Help....Input on cage modifications
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »
I am 6'6" and 220#. From what you are describing it sounds like that car is never going to fit you comfortably. If you start making compromises in knee location and how you have to hold the steering it will be far more difficult to concentrate on the competitive aspects of winning races - to say nothing of the safety factors involved during some urgent manoeuvering. I would look for a car that fits better. Or alternatively factor in the need to back half that one in your offering price. Good luck

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »
Shoulder hoop width not big enough for you I would walk away find another car

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:56:12 AM »
I agree with the previous replies. If you shoulders are hitting the cage they are too far above the shoulder hoop for safety. The shifter and steering issues may not be too hard to solve depending on the configuration but making the cage taller will not get your shoulders away from the bars.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:38:04 AM »
Wearing a -20 firesuit takes up another 1 1/2" and any Chassis mods happen in progression, you finish one and it complicates another,  Good money spent un-wisely,  Look for a more suitable car or build new. If the chassis is not 19.5 - 20" inside the shoulder hoop and from the seat bottom to the shoulder hoop around 33" you will not fit all suited up, Roll cages get changed all the time, but the body must fit the basic car first. Also stay away from a single round shoulder hoop and look for one that has 2 bends and a flat between them. you will fit better being so tall

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
I agree with Bruce, look for a car that will fit you better. I know of a FED that has a 20 or 21 wide roll cage, and he is 6' 1 or 2" driver weighs 190 ish. It's in Calif turn key with iron SBC that races in NHRA Heritage JrFuel. Wayne will sell with or without engine /trans, and open trailer too.  Call me if you are interested Jon 805-444-4489 or Email jchansen60@gmail.com I also know of another JF in Colorado, another in Phoenix that will fit you.
Jon Hansen, Hayden wheels, and JrFuelDragster Association 
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline lrust

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Atlanta Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: '67 GTO
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 04:44:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I am meeting with the person that built the cage/frame to get his input on the feasibility of changes to make me fit considering the input that you all have provided.  Thanks...