Author Topic: Lost cam dowel - what to do?  (Read 7189 times)

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 @ 178 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Big block Chevy, 517ci, 8/71 blower, methanol
  • Your Track: Santa Pod, UK
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T altered "Thundergod"
  • General Location: Yorkshire, England
Lost cam dowel - what to do?
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:42:13 PM »
We had our blown methanol BBC freshened up for the season by a fairly well known hot rodder/race car builder here in the UK. There was not much wrong with it from last season, basically he just replaced the bearing shells. We test ran it for the first time last week, it fired up and ran well. After draining the oil we found some small non-magnetic particles in the oil filter. Not enough to really worry about but a bit puzzling. Some of them seemed to be aluminum & some looked like phosphor-bronze. When we checked the lash before running again, it developed a tight spot that got worse the more we looked for it, until it was pretty much locked up. We took off the blower & inlet & I noticed I could move the crank about 5 degrees without moving the cam. We took off the fuel pump & front distributor drive & found that the cam dowel was missing & the bolts loose which hold the drive & cam hub to the cam. It seems the builder did not torque them up enough. He agreed on that & stated that there definitely was a dowel in the cam. We have not been able to find the dowel. it was not in the sump. A more experienced builder & racer told me they do sometimes come out & the gear drive is so hard it can actually munch them up. We tightened the bolts, replaced the rockers one at a time, turned it over by hand & it seemed ok. We didn't run it because I could not get a dowel & also we were worried about where the bits had gone. So after that long story, my question is should we have it completely stripped, inspected & cleaned or just replace the dowel?

dreracecar

Re: Lost cam dowel - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »
Had an engine come thru the shoppe that someone used stainless socket head bolts for the cam gear, the bolt stretch was so bad that it looked like both coarse and fine threads on the same bolt.   If you are running a steel pan, place some magnets by the oil pump inlet to catch any steel floating in the oil before it goes thru the pump. fine particels thu the pump will get caught in the filter before it gets to the rest of the motor.
 Bronze filings could be from the Magneto gear

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
Our TA/FC  did this fairly regularly. Mu guess was cam harmonics caused the bolt that where tight and had loc tit on them to come loose. A good way to keep check is Cranking compression will change pretty good amount. Record and when all cylinders show off about same amount its loose. As for dowel we went thru abunch on materials and finally just 1/4" ss rod(not bolt). Worse thing is sometmes it will break dowel and leave some in cam and its PIA.

If dowel is out its in bottom of oil pan or chewed up. Who ever said gear would eat it is 100% right.   I would drop pan take a look around and let it rock after that.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
We took the pan off & it is not in there. It's a Moroso 20385 ally pan with kickouts & rear sump. I think the dowel may have knocked the corners off the end of the distributor gear to make the bronze particles, it looks slightly worse than I remember. Incidentally I tried a 0.250" dowel & it's about 5 thou (guess) undersize. Should I worry about the idler gear bearing on the cam gear drive? It looks just possible that debris could get in it. I could maybe pull the hub & remove the cover to examine it.

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »
the cam, the gear, the dowel is "undersize"???

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:54:52 PM by dreracecar »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 04:20:50 AM »
Makes you kind of wonder what else they may have forgotten ! If it was my motor I would take it apart !

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 01:17:27 PM »
We checked the gear drive & it looks ok, there is a light witness mark on the crank sprocket. The oil pump has definately ingested some small hard bits of metal, it has a few pits & scores but nothing bad enough to worry us, clearances are ok. Dodged another bullet though, while checking out the top end I spotted a crack in a lifter. New set of lifters in now. The guy who freshened it for us has a lot of experience with BBCs but not with blown motors which is why he didn't tighten the crank hub bolts enough. I think I might rebuild it myself next winter for peace of mind.

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »
Wow, I was unaware that there was a difference in torque--- learn something new everyday

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 01:21:34 PM »
I've been told the 3 cam bolts need to be torqued to 45 lbf.ft to prevent them from being shaken loose. Thats tricky because you can only get a ring spanner on, not a socket. I may have to weld a bar or tube to a spanner & hang a weight on the end! ARP recommended torque for the bolts is 32.

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2019, 03:00:14 PM »
45# on a .250 bolt has already stretched it

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
Cam bolts are 5/16", new ones shipping right now. Off to the garage now to check my pushrods with the new lifters.

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 09:05:39 AM »
So I got a new Chevy cam dowel. It is an interference fit in the cam & about 0.25".

However what I did not notice before is that the cam hub dowel hole is bigger, a 6.5mm drill shank fits perfectly. Also the distributor/fuel pump drive spud dowel hole is even bigger, a 7mm drill fits that snugly. So the standard dowel would not achieve very much.

My plan is to drill & ream all the holes to 7mm if the hub is not too hard. If it is I will ream the cam only to 6.5mm. Then I will either buy dowel to fit or cut off a piece of drill shank to use.

Nothing ever seems straightforward in my life...

dreracecar

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
The drive hub hole is always larger for manufacturing tolerances , but it should not be a thru hole , just a pocket to keep the dowel from coming out.  rotate drive hub and spot face another pocket, do not drill through. Make sure the cam dowel does not stick out too far.  The dowel is just a gear locator so that installation is always the same, the bolts do all the work
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:28:42 AM by dreracecar »

Offline Dunc the Funk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 12:07:35 PM »
That is a very good idea! Cheers.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 02:22:57 PM »
green loc-tite is your friend just don't over do it.I have also wired the bolts before.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot