Author Topic: Altered chassis question.  (Read 2594 times)

Offline blownelephant

• View Profile
  • Your Track: santa pod
  • Your Vehicle: altered
Altered chassis question.
« on: April 07, 2019, 02:50:12 AM »
Hope this is the right place for this question, I've almost finished building an altered chassis, 120 inch mild steel to SFI 7.50, I used 3.2 mm seamless tube throughout and xxxx it's heavy! So I'm wondering as it's only tacked together from the motor plate forward should I change the tube to 2.4 mm wall thickness from the motor plate forward and loose a bit of weight from there? Thanks in advance.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: Altered chassis question.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 06:20:42 AM »
I'd look up the weight per foot (or your preferred unit of measure) and do the math to see how much you'll really save and make your decision from there.

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »
I'm just curious as to if weight is a concern (and when isn't it?) why did you choose mild steel tubing vs thin wall 4130 chrome moly?

I built a roadster pickup for 10.90 racing and used .134 wall DOM, but that was because the minimum weight of the car had to be 2000# per the rules and I needed the weight.

Offline Rainmaker

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 quarter mile
  • Your Engine: 405 sbc & 355 sbc - methanol
  • Your Track: Ardmore Dragway - Southern Oklahoma
  • Your Vehicle: 2009 Dave Tuttle - FED
  • General Location: So. Central Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 09:15:48 AM »
It's an age old situation.
But.......after you get through bolting all the weight on the front end,  you'll be asking your self why you ever worried about a couple of pounds. ::)
That's just my 78 year old opinion .  You build it the way you want it.......... :)
PS....we carry 52 lbs on the front of a 225 inch dragster with an injected sbc...?.....~JL~

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 01:11:49 PM »
Weight is of no real concern if the majority of racing you do is in brackets or index's