Author Topic: battery inside driver area  (Read 3483 times)

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
battery inside driver area
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:26:54 AM »
im using a go lithium 16v battery, they are small  8.75" x 6.95" x 3.00 

since its small and light, there is no use to mount it up front and to keep things tidy id like to make up a tray that clamps to the uprights just behind my transmission, engine is 50" out so i got some space. the battery is a sealed case..... is there any tech issues with mounting the battery in front of the driver area ?   im not going to install a fire wall in front of the pedals like some but i could make a cover to conceal the battery but since its a sealed battery do i need to ?

also is using clamps to mount it to the upright legal or should it be mounted to tabs welded to the up right?

dreracecar

Re: battery inside driver area
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:39:06 AM »
Are you using it to start the engine or just run the electronics?, Whatever type of battery it is , it must be sealed if used to also start the engine.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »
starting also, as long as its in a sealed can i shouldn't have tech issues ?   i could mount it in front of the engine but trying to keep it clean

these batterys are pretty popular and i have seen some door car guys running them mounted to the floor

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:49:09 PM »
i have also considered this, welding brackets to the lower rails to bolt a removable plate in that has the battery and also the ignition box mounted to it. i can make a sealed box so the battery is closed in.

thoughts ??

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:58:21 PM »
There have been several battery fires from Lithium batteries. I would not put it in the cockpit area if it was me no more than I would put the fuel cell in there.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 06:28:04 AM »
that was one of my thoughts also, while i dont think i have seen this particular brand of battery has issues i have thought about mounting it in front of the engine with some type of quick release mount so the battery could be removed when in storage or whatever..... supposedly these batterys have a different cell structure than other lithium battery's making them a bit safer from what i understand.

Offline Curly1

• View Profile
    • AireTex Compressors
  • Your Best Time: 7.95 @ 167 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: Texas Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 125" Altered
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:20:43 PM »
I have not heard of any problems with the Golitium batteries but regardless I do not think it is a good idea to put a fuel cell or battery in the drivers area. It does not weigh much at all and it is fairly small you can find some where else to put it.