Author Topic: Seeking FED Wisdom  (Read 7894 times)

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Seeking FED Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
The stock 1.82 PG - sometimes referred to as the six cylinder PG (as opposed to the V8 PG with a 1.76 low) - is often maligned as being weak because it has a stamped steel planetary carrier. But they can easily be made race worthy by simply welding the pinion axle pins to the carrier with low-temp silicon bronze. This joins the entire planetary assembly into a solid one-piece unit capable of handling the power. These 1.82 units are considered a throw-away item so if you have to pay more than a six pack to get a few from your trans builder you paid too much. Good luck.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
more boost always good,well unless you run over crank.  Little off subject. I would gear your whole deal towards ultra low weight. Like keep as short as you think will work good. 180" would be plenty long IMO.Minimum size tubing like diagonals (lower power less stress).design as many jobs into one piece as can(already fabricating it) and keep bolt sizing down to where does job but not twice size needed. I don't think you will have any problem getting it moving.

A plus is those VW guys are a loyal bunch and if its fast they go nuts over it,I have seen guys need bibs  when looking at lil brothers VW. I think thers video posted on this site of it making pass.If not there are cpl on you tube look up Bdub VW.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Mike Lawless

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.70
  • Your Engine: Turbocharged air cooled VW
  • Your Track: Famoso
  • Your Vehicle: Door car now. FED in planning
  • General Location: Central California
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 03:39:00 PM »
more boost always good,well unless you run over crank.  Little off subject. I would gear your whole deal towards ultra low weight. Like keep as short as you think will work good. 180" would be plenty long IMO.Minimum size tubing like diagonals (lower power less stress).design as many jobs into one piece as can(already fabricating it) and keep bolt sizing down to where does job but not twice size needed. I don't think you will have any problem getting it moving.

A plus is those VW guys are a loyal bunch and if its fast they go nuts over it,I have seen guys need bibs  when looking at lil brothers VW. I think thers video posted on this site of it making pass.If not there are cpl on you tube look up Bdub VW.

Words of wisdom right there.

You are correct. the VW guys are loyal. My Blue Ghia is one of the most well known "race cars" in the VW scene. Two time magazine feature car, cover of Hot VWs last year and the only VW to win at the Bakersfield March Meet in any class in the events entire history.

We've been running the car for 20 years from it's humble street car beginnings till now. Still street legal with full trim and real glass windows, weighing in at 1950lbs, it's run a best of 9.70 at 142mph at 15psi boost with it's little "bread & Butter" 2156cc motor. We'll be using this motor in the dragster. If we get the weight and gearing right, I'm fairly confident we can run NE2 without pushing the motor too hard. At least eventually!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:17:21 AM by Mike Lawless »

Offline glofria

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.323 @ 185.05
  • Your Engine: A blown 388 c.i. Small Block Chevy
  • Your Track: Auto Club Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: An original 1957 Chevy Bel-Air
  • General Location: Southern California
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »
I know that car. It should come with caution tape around it because it's dangerous (to the competition).  ;D

Offline Mike Lawless

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.70
  • Your Engine: Turbocharged air cooled VW
  • Your Track: Famoso
  • Your Vehicle: Door car now. FED in planning
  • General Location: Central California
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »
I know that car. It should come with caution tape around it because it's dangerous (to the competition).  ;D

Hey Gino! We've met a few times. I saw that you were a member here and thought "What'dya know. Some old friends frequent this place!"